Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Undiagnosed, still suffering.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Undiagnosed, still suffering.

For the past 2 months, I have been suffering with ear ringing, pressure, and even bouts of nausea and dizziness caused by my left ear. I was sent to an ENT by my family doctor but nothing was found to be out of the ordinary. No fluids in my ear canal and my eustachian tube appears to be normal (although the ENT never checked my eustachian tube through my throat). I had a hearing test done and nothing is really out of the ordinary. This was the only test that was performed and the doctor told me that I "might" have Meniere's Disease. I haven't had any dizziness or nausea since about a month ago and my ear feels like it has gotten better than it was when it first had problems. I was given nasal sprays to try to clear the problem, and it did help a fair bit but I was told to not use them for more than 2 weeks so I'm still suffering with slight ringing and some pressure occasionally. I feel like I want to give up. The ENT that I went to was condescending and seemed like he didn't believe any of the symptoms I was telling him. When I told him that my ear was starting to feel better, he told me that "Meniere's disease comes in waves and this could just be a good time for you". I'm not willing to believe that I have Meniere's disease without multiple tests.
Anyone with a similar experience and an idea of what I could do?
Thanks,
Christina
I wouldn't be surprised if you had Meniere's disease.  But if you'd like a second opinion, the best person to see is an otolaryngologist - the ear specialist of specialists!  They will run all kinds of tests - it's a diagnosis that's made by process of elimination.  

I do have Meniere's.  But in my case, food intolerances were setting off the attacks.  I did food elimination and found out a gluten intolerance was causing the problem.  Another part of my problem, I think, was hormonal imbalance.  I went from having attacks constantly and losing a good deal of hearing in one ear and a little in my other to having no more attacks.  It's been 11 years since my last attack.  I am stuck with noise in my left ear, but it's much quieter since I changed my diet.  Easy to tolerate now.  If I really want to quiet my ears, I eat an Atkins type diet.  Milk free diets open up my eustachian tubes (I also passed the eust. tube test) and it clears the muffling.  The gluten free stopped the attacks and decreased the ringing.  Sugar also irritates the nerve.  So, if you find you have Meniere's, food elimination helps many people.  They do use diuretics and some doctors use drugs to open the capillaries to the ears.  But I got off my meds when I found out what foods were contributing to the problem.  Good luck, and I hope this helps.