VERY PAINFUL sore throat - 2 weeks
Ok, 2 Sundays ago I woke up with a VERY high fever, body aches, and throat on fire. Spent whole day in bed. For the next week I was mainly battling a PAINFUL sore throat (hurt like hell to swallow, and I had those white puss things on tounsils). The fever kinda shyed away with 500mg tylenol but my throat hurt throughout the day. For the first week it would keep me up all night.. I would do the warm salt water gargling, but it would come back.. Also had little to eat or drink because of the pain of swallowing.. After about 6 days, i discover a new symptom that really pisses me off and keeps me up all night.. my body keeps making saliva and pushes it to the front of the my mouth.. After about 5 seconds of spitting it out, more salvia comes and its just a process that lasts all day and night.. The salt water and ice cream do help this, but its only temporary..

After 9 days of misery, I go to an urgent care. Test for me strep, and it came back negative. Doc looks at my throat and says I got an infection. Gives me a z-pack. I just finished the back today and can say it has done very little against the pain. Right now the pain will keep me up all night untreated, im talking funny, and it still burns to swallow.. Noticed that my tonsils have these like craters on them, like wholes..

All day i just rest and have zero energy.. The fever will come back (usually at night) but I got some bayer that does a good job at fighting the fever and sore throat. My appetite for the most part has gone, but will come back every 3 days or so..

My question is what is the next step? Im allergic to penicillon or similar things.. Im going crazy here
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The commonest pathogen (agent) causing throat infections is a group A Streptococcus bacteria. Besides this Group B Streptococcus, mycoplasma, neisseria and  cornybacterium  are known to cause throat infections. Other known pathogens causing infections of the throat are viral and yeast (candida).

The reason for elaborating about these pathogens is that the tests done and the therapy initiated vary for the listed pathogens. To begin with a throat swab is taken to see for streptococcus. If needed a throat culture will show the growth and the antibiotics to which the pathogens are most susceptible to. During culture it would be worthwhile to test for yeast infections also besides bacterial infections. Viral infections are by exclusion and do not need any antibiotic therapy unless there are superadded infections. Viral infections are known to cause canker sores. The antibiotic of choice for a streptococcal infection is penicillin but azithromycin is also effective.

I would advise you to continue with your medications and finish the course. In addition you could take OTC multivitamins. Take plenty of warm oral fluids and lots of rest. For further relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt water gargles and steam inhalations. Please ensure to do this prior to your meals.  Hope this helped and Do Take Care!