Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vasomotor rhinitis nasal blockage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Vasomotor rhinitis nasal blockage

I was recently diagnosed with non allergic vasomotor rhinitis. The symptoms are blockage of nasal air passages especially in reclined position at night. Typically as evening approaches nose gets stuffy. As soon as the head hits the pillow one nostril completely closes with no air possible to get through. After a few hours the blocked nostril opens and the other nostril closes up completely. This can switch back another time in the course of the night. When I awaken and start moving around, taking on routine chores the sinus' clear up. During the night if I get up and move around in an attempt to free the blockage it fails unless I start some sort of activity that takes my mind off the problem. There seems to be some measure of psychological effect on the condition. Since early teen years I have had this and have battled it for nearly 50 years. I have seen numerous general practice doctors as well as specialists and allergy doctors. Xrays of my sinus' show them to be ok and not nescessarily a candidate for surgery. Trust me, I have tryed everything. The only thing that works is nasal spray e.g. Dristan, 4 Way. Unfortuneatly these are very temporary and quite addicting with usage snow balling. I am currently on a 6 week quit now as a result of heavy doses of Predisone. My condition now is no better than when I first quit 6 weeks ago. I dread nightime when it is hard to breathe and experience near claustrophobia. I can only get 4- 6 hours of sleep per night and it is taking its' toll on my quality of life. I do not want to go back on the nasal spray but each night brings me closer to doing it. Is there anything new I may not have tryed?