Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vertigo Termed Migraines

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Vertigo Termed Migraines

Where do I start?  I had my right ear irrigated at my primary md's office and the tinnitus began. A week later while driving I had a vertigo episode that put me in the  hospital.  I had all the hearing, balance,MRI, etc., tests done and the Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist decided I did not have vertigo.  I have been going to a Neurologist and have had every test for visual, brain, neuropathy, etc. (all tests came back normal) and he determined I have Migraines (not hereditary, I had never had migraines before this vertigo event, no family history of migraines)  My question is what kind of physician should I be seeing to find the source of this disabling ringing in ears, dizziness, right side of face (eye) type of problem.   If it is migraines, why after a vertigo episode?  Why at age 48 would this hit out of the blue?
Migraines can start with hormonal changes--are you female, (peri)menopausal? I never knew I had migraines until age 42. But I do, for sure.

Vertigo is a symptom, not a disease or disorder in itself. If you experienced vertigo, then you had vertigo!

Migraines can definitely cause vertigo, even in the complete absence of headache or other symptoms.

For great info, see www.dizziness-and-balance.com, click on "patient education" and look for the migraine link.

You have already seen the right kind of doctors. But the neurologist should be treating you for migraine (there are lots of medications) if the vertigo is disrupting your life significantly.

If you are not sure about your diagnosis, get another ENT opinion (preferably a neuro-otologist, also spelled neurotologist, which are the ENT superspecialists for the ear) and/or another neurology opinion (try to find an otoneurologist, again a superspecialist for dizziness "from the brain side"). Try www.vestibular.org find-a-doctor feature and also the American Neurotology Society Web site.

Good luck,
Nancy T.
Hi Nancy I have also been having the same problems as McCall.  Thank you for all the great info you have given.