Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vertigo for 5 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Vertigo for 5 months

I am a 34-year-old female.  In November 2011 I had an attack of vertigo for the first time in my life.  One week BEFORE the vertigo started I had a terrible sinus infection even causing fever blisters all over my mouth.  When the sinus infection first started I couldnt hear well but I was on vacation in the mountains and thought that could be making the ear fullness worse.  Since the attack of vertigo in November it has never really gone away.  I have it everyday to some extent some days being worse than others.  Ive seen my family doctor and he thinks it is just vertigo coming from my sinuses and has referred me to an ENT, that I will see on April 30th.  I haven't had a MRI or CT brain recently.  I had an MRI in December 2010 and a CT and CTA of my brain in April 2011 due to some other problems, but that has been almost a year ago.  Of course that is what Im worried about.  Im concerned its not just regular vertigo.  My doctor thinks its my sinuses because on all those scans last year I had sinusitis and retention cysts in the sinus cavity, however I did not have dizziness at that time.  My question is if I had something going on like a tumor in my brain over this 5 month time frame with vertigo wouldnt I be showing other neurological problems besides just that?? Im worried it could be something more serious.  Things that make it worse are head movement, bending over occasionally and sometimes walking.  I have noticed that I will go a week or so with it being severe feeling it all the time and then it will improve but once the severe attack is gone it affects my walking coordination for several days and then goes away.....of course until it returns 2 or 3 weeks later.
Sounds like an inner ear issue, i.e. BPPV.  I think this could be secondary to the issue with your sinuses as sinus issues can affect your middle and inner ear.  

I would recommend getting an updated MRI of the head/brain with CONTRAST and having vestibular testing done by an ENT Specialist.  

Keep us posted.
I see the ENT April 30th, do you think thats soon enough?  Also do you think in your opinion Im ok to see the ENT first or call my family doctor and push harder for the MRI.  All my neurological tests were normal that the doctor did in his office, so he wanted me to see ENT first and possibly then talk about a MRI.  What do you think?  
Yes, that is soon enough in my opinion.  I would recommend seeing the ENT Specialist FIRST and go from there.  If the Vestibular testing comes up clean, then definitely proceed with the MRI.  The ENT Specialist might order both; Vestibular testing and an MRI.