Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vertigo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Vertigo

Im 43yr old female. In Oct 2010 I just got onto my horse and got a severe spinning sensation, I got off and started to feel really nauseous. The spinning lasted for about an hour. went to docs following day and was diagnosed with labyrynthitis and was given antibiotics.
November 2011 I was sat in my car about 6pm about to drive off and the spinning came over me more severely, so much so I panicked as I felt like I was going to faint. Called the ambulance. Started to feel really nauseous and was violently sick. Hospital gave me an anti nausea drug and looked into my eyes and ears, took a blood test but nothing revealed. The spinning lasted about 2 hours. went to docs following day and he diagnosed BPPV. He did a manouevre which was supposed to trigger symptoms but they didnt. Had a number of spinning occurrences over the next 3 weeks but they were much shorter.
Next episode was 3 weeks ago. Was already on my horse (at walk) when it happened. Lasted 20 mins, then sick. then shorter occurrences after that. Last Thursday another 20 mins episode followed by shorter episodes.
I dont believe its BPPV as I can get it just standing talking to someone! Asked to be referred to an ENT as no other tests have been done yet. When I lie on my left side for a long time the side of myhead behind my ear hurts alot too. think Ive got a perforated ear drum in the left ear.
Does anyone else get this type of thing as its now freaking me out and Im getting panicky over it now as its affecting my life! Help!!
Twenty minutes to two hours? Onset at age 42 (when hormones start going nuts)? Sometimes sick afterwards?

I'd bet a fair amount of money you're having migraine episodes. Look up "migraine-associated vertigo."

No, you do NOT have to have a headache to have migraine. And yes, dizziness attacks are quite common among migraineurs.

If you have a personal or family history of migraine, it would make the possibility almost certain.

I did not even know I was a migraineur until age 42 when I got my first ocular migraine (no headache). I realized later that my dizzy spells and ongoing dizziness problems were no doubt migraine as well, even though I don't get headaches.

Diagnosing BPPV when the event is not triggered by specific head-position changes means the doctor is pretty ignorant. And BPPV doesn't last hours or even 20 minutes. And even if you DID have labyrinthitis (which I'm willing to bet you didn't, if your symptoms resolved more or less completely after the episodes), you don't give antibiotics for it!!! You got some really clueless doctors.

See an ENT who specializes in the inner ear (called a neuro-otologist or neurotologist), or a neurologist who specializes in the ear (called an otoneurologist). They should be able to give you a proper diagnosis and suggest treatment, which can consist of identifying and avoiding migraine triggers, and perhaps medication. Good luck!
Thanks so much Nancy T, I have an appointment with an ENT consultant in April now so hopefully Ill get a decent diagnosis! (and im changing my doctor!!) Thanks again!
You're welcome! Glad you got a specialist appointment. I hope he or she will be able to help. Be aware that some ENTs still know little or nothing about migraine-associated vertigo (MAV)--and migraine is really a neurologist's domain, anyway--so if the ENT does not find another cause for your symptoms, be ready to inform yourself about this. Good luck. :)