Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vestibular Neiritis -- any thoughts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Vestibular Neiritis -- any thoughts

I suffered an acute attack or Vertigo about 6-1/2 weeks ago.  I was diagnosed with BPPV in the ER and then with Vestibular Neuritis by an ENT (both a Cat Scan and MRI were normal).  The diagnosis was confirmed by an ENG (which can be disconcerting and unnerving) which showed that the injury was to the left vestibular nerve.  My doctor advised me to try to do whatever I could when I felt up to it and to try walking around grocery stores as much as possible.  I know I have gotten better since the initial onset but am feeling as if the recovery process has stalled (the doctor warned I would have some bad days and the last few have been tough -- "brain fog," increased dizziness when I move my head or roll over in bed, and a return of the feeling that I am not aware of what's going on on either side of my head when trying to walk, cross the street, etc.).  I am going to ask about addition exercises to learn howe to compensate and am thinking about rehabilitative therapy.

Does anyone have other suggestions and has anyone experienced either a full or partial recovery.  If so, how long did it take and do you have any ideas or advice?  From what I've read and been told, your brain has to learn how to compensate for an imbalance and I am hoping someone has thoughts on whether I can do anything to help my brain learn.

Thanks for your help and support!
I have been living without a left vestibular nerve now for over three years.  My surgeon removed it because a tumor grew from this nerve damaging it beyond repair.  After a few weeks recuperation from my surgery I began an intensive 6-week vestibular rehab therapy.  It helped me to regain about 80% balance.  I have problems with low light/darkness, soft surfaces, large open areas such as malls due to shiney floors and alot of visual bombardment from people moving about, but I do okay.  During those times I can veer off in one direction or stumble looking as though I'm drunk.  I would highly recommend you see a Vestibular Rehab Therapist for "specific" therapy to regain the balance you have lost.  It can be done with practice (it's not much fun, more like work) and well worth your efforts.  It will speed up the compensation process better than putting yourself in challenging situations repeatedly (going to grocery store and walking around).  Practice does make perfect in this type of therapy and doing the exercises over and over and over again will get the other side of the brain to compensate faster and more fully.  Good luck!