Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vestibular Neiritis -- any thoughts
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Vestibular Neiritis -- any thoughts

I suffered an acute attack or Vertigo about 6-1/2 weeks ago.  I was diagnosed with BPPV in the ER and then with Vestibular Neuritis by an ENT (both a Cat Scan and MRI were normal).  The diagnosis was confirmed by an ENG (which can be disconcerting and unnerving) which showed that the injury was to the left vestibular nerve.  My doctor advised me to try to do whatever I could when I felt up to it and to try walking around grocery stores as much as possible.  I know I have gotten better since the initial onset but am feeling as if the recovery process has stalled (the doctor warned I would have some bad days and the last few have been tough -- "brain fog," increased dizziness when I move my head or roll over in bed, and a return of the feeling that I am not aware of what's going on on either side of my head when trying to walk, cross the street, etc.).  I am going to ask about addition exercises to learn howe to compensate and am thinking about rehabilitative therapy.

Does anyone have other suggestions and has anyone experienced either a full or partial recovery.  If so, how long did it take and do you have any ideas or advice?  From what I've read and been told, your brain has to learn how to compensate for an imbalance and I am hoping someone has thoughts on whether I can do anything to help my brain learn.

Thanks for your help and support!