Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vestibular Problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Vestibular Problems?

So I started having dizziness and mild vertigo, (I call it mild because I was able to walk, drive and function) but could feel dizzy and nauseous. Anyway this started around March of 2011. 2-3 weeks of dizziness with later not feeling dizzy but extremely lethargic and with this brainfog, or difficulty concentrating, and cognition problems like memory etc. for about 2 more weeks. Then one day it all went away.
UNTIL about July of 2012, when symptoms started as dizziness/vertigo and then became or evolved into what I later experienced the first time.
Went to ENT and prescribed from antihistamines to corticosteroids, not alleviating the symptoms.
Had an audiogram and revelied mild hearing loss on my left ear (which I'm not able to notice) and that's it.
CT scan of sinuses revealed nothing, CT-scan of the brain nothing and MRI of the brain w/contrast was clear. 3 blood tests showed nothing.
-
Im so tired of feeling groggy and with this weird brainfog or unable to mentally multitask, that it's driving me crazy.
I was referred to a neurologist who thinks (based on 0 tests) that im stressed. Which is BS.
Upon reading I discovered that cog difficulties arise from vestibular problems, due to the effort the brain has trying to compensate for balance, with only 1 vestibular side functioning. Then it led me to think that my hippocampus, which is involved in attention and memory, is underused due to this phenomenon.
It's been 6 months since I felt the initial symptoms of vertigo, and though they're gone this terrible brainfog is dominating my life.
Does anyone, ANYONE at all know any information on this subject and whether I'm going to be able to be myself one day without feeling tired or sleepy at 3pm everyday and not being able to concentrate?
New symptoms inculde headaches, and mild discomfort on my left side above ear. (this could be just because of knowing that i had mild auditory deficiency on my left side) Since when it started in march of 2011 I didn't feel anything but dizziness and brainfog until it went away.
-
I'm willing to pay anyone with information or suggestions that could lead me to a normal life.
VRT or vestibular rehabilitation would be an option but how do I know that it would help?
How likely could it be that it's not vestibular but central or brain problem?

thanks!
J.
"I was referred to a neurologist who thinks (based on 0 tests) that im stressed. Which is BS."...........I think so too; it's BS.  This Neurologist wasted your time and money......what an idiot.  Plus, he had NOTHING to base his diagnosis/opinion on.  Anyone can say something is stress-related.  

"Then it led me to think that my hippocampus, which is involved in attention and memory, is underused due to this phenomenon."......this isn't so, well it's not logical.

"How likely could it be that it's not vestibular but central or brain problem?"  Well, have you had vestibular testing done?  Videonystagmography (VNG) testing done?  The VNG will determine if the vertigo is a central or peripheral issue.  If your CT and MRI were clear, then I DOUBT this is a central issue.

Being your hearing test was abnormal, was there any mention of Ménière's disease?

Try VRT; this might be of some help.  You can also ask for a Rx. for Betahistine or Antivert (US).  That might help.  If you can bare not taking any medication for this....DON'T.  Let your brain compensate.  It won't be a quick recovery though.

It took me 3 YEARS to feel somewhat normal again.  I was diagnosed with Unresolved Labyrinthitis and boy was that a road I would NEVER want to take again.  Awful.