Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vibrating eardrum, pulsating sensation, on and off.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Viewing 201-203 comments:
I have tinnitus but have recently experienced the "trembling" sound in my right ear. It reminds me of a muscle spasm/severe ringing ear. I also have anxiety problems and have been going through extra stress at work and I think this is the root cause. The combination of preexisting tinnitus and severe stress? Just a theory but damn is it annoying...I will ride this out a few days and try some remedies. I have have the most luck using Advil for tinnitus...that and patience. Messed up hearing is disruptive and hard to ignore, so be zen like and work on solving and dealing with the issue. I may be with you awhile, good luck!
I have had this same problem for over a year now.... A drilling noise in my ears which happens during my sleep and wakes me up.
Its nice to know that I am not the only experiencing this problem as I've read most of the comments on here, but this still doesn't make any sense to me.
I don't have any earing problems, no stress, I am quite healthy, I excersise frequently, I'm not on any medication so why does this thing happen almost every night of the week??

I hope there's an answer out there somewhere..
I have same problem , did u find the solution ...
I have not, sorry to report. Stress seems to be the main suspect though. I say we should all move to a tropical island for a year as a prescription to resolve the medical problem.

What Do You ALL Say?
It's me again.

Almos 1 year and still not clear what to do, or not to do. In summer I've a really long silent state (no vacation, I worked like a slave).

Sometimes it came back a little, but it was rare. In april I started to train myself to run a Marathon, It's very good for my entire body, but not for my eardrum :-(

!!!One important thing, which I recognized!!!

You know I've this curse in my RIGHT ear.

So, when I LOOK STRAIGHT forward the vibrating sound is MUCH weaker.

When I LOOK LEFT, the sound DISAPPEAR!

When I LOOK RIGHT, the vibrating sound is MUCH STRONGER!

About half year ago I was a quick eye examination, but they told me everything is ok.

Oh and another plus info:

Because of the winter (flu, cold, etc) in september I started to take "BĂ©res" drops.

http://www.beres.hu/beres/termekek/beres_csepp/beres_csepp/

This is a very good hungarian medicine, a liquid VITAMIN complex.

It's very good for lots of thing, I feel myself, stronger, quicker, more agile and healthier... BUT IT'S BAD FOR EARDRUM!!!

MY EARDRUM STARTED AGAIN IN SEPTEMBER TOO!!!!!!

And it contains magnesium!!!

Every time when I start to take MAGNESIUM, my eardrum come back :-(((

When I started to take JUST ONLY MAGNESIUM, my eardrum was harder then EVER!

But magnesium is very important to a healthy body... it's a trap. Damn!
I had fullness in ear and balance problems and could hear a whooshing sound that turned out to be my heartbeat, then I suddenly noticed that I wasn't hearing so well in that ear.  No antibiotics helped and so I went to a specialist ENT.  He sent me off for an MRI which I thought was crazy, but it turned out that I had an acoustic neuroma which is a type of benign brain tumour.  This runs along the ear canal squashing the hearing nerve and destroying hearing.  It needs an MRI (with injected dye) to find it, but the sooner found the less damage done.  I'd suggest going to an ENT and describing your symptoms to just give you peace of mind that it is nothing serious.
Dear i m from india and i m also having same problem . but my problem last for a week or more and disappears and came back after 6 months or one year . i have also visited many doctors and having no solutions. But i found and noticed when i m open to dust and smoke it occurs its due to allergy and its named as sinus.  so need a small surgery to drain out the fluid from sinus.
i don't know after surgery it would be totally gone or appear again.
But avoid allergy you will be good.
I've got exactly the same thing, it's only there with different sounds. It started three weeks ago and it's driving me crazy. But it only happens in a silent room. The clicking of the keyboard, the sound of a dish on glass, the biro makes my eardrum flutter. If I listen to the radio at the same time, it doesn't happen.
My doc told me that it is a hyperacusis caused by some recent (hopefully temporary) hearing loss affecting frequencies higher than 6khz.

However I also had the constant fluttering eardrum which many of you all here described when going to sleep two or three times. After I stopped drinking alcohol, it never came back. One reason: Alcohol expands blood vessels...so it may have to do something with the vessels.
What helped too was pressing into the small cavity below my ear.
I stumbled across this page because I am having the same symptoms as most everyone on this page.  However, my eardrum vibrates to sounds and syllables!!  Odd, I know.  Whenever I'm talking with someone that has a deep, "bassy" voice, it will vibrate to EVERY syllable that the person says.  The really bad thing is that my manager AND my husband are the worst because of how deep their voices are!  So, when I'm talking with either one of them, all I want them to do is STOP so the vibration will stop!  I tend to turn my head and will even stick my finger in my ear with hopes that it will help.  I feel like I miss half of what they are saying because all I can concentrate on is wanting them to stop talking!  It mainly happens at night (when I'm home with my deep-voiced husband) which makes me think it's something to do with the barometric pressure or something - I have no idea!  

Does anyone else have this same "syllable-vibration"?  If I missed it, I'm sorry, but there are so many posts that I had to scan through them but didn't see anything addressing syllables!  
I thought I was going crazy when this started happening to me but I'm glad I thought to google it and found this post. Ozone I'm sorry to hear you been putting up with this for 21 years..well 21 when you posted this...I see that was in 2010. I did see another post above yours also describing it exactly as it's happening to me but yours was crazy.. Anyway I don't know how things worked out for you but for you and the rest and any future readers I wanted to put in my 2 cents.
    Mine started about a month ago in my left ear and feels like a monkey bangin a drum (monkey with no rythm) Anyway it only happens to me when periodicly through the day and I'm starting to think it's from my neck. I have had neck and back problems for about 10 years but recently due to the neck pain I've been using the smaller of my two cervical pillows and when I wake up in the morning my neck and all the muscles down toy shoulders are tight and knotted up and my neck all the way up to the base of my skull is locked up.
   When I lay down it stops and always seems to happen when I'm up and moving around especially when I'm looking down. For the past few days I've also been having this uncontrolable sensation like when you pull your ears back and flex some muscle in your head and it makes like a swooshing noise for a few seconds and then gradually fades. It acts like a muscle flexing so I'm assuming thats what it is but before I used to have to try to make it happen and now it seems like when I'm laying down it happens when I blink or when I think about it without trying to do it.
  The only other thing I can think of that's changed when this started was a couple weeks before hand I made myself a removable partial denture. I had a couple bottom mollers pulled and the one above started dropping down so I made the partial to be a little on the tall side so I could try to gradually push it back up. In the process I realized how far off my bite had become because of these teeth missing. I'm always chewing on the left side (happens to be the same side as the thumping) and after wearing the partial for a few days my bite straightened out and instead of only hitting the partial side, both sides of my teeth were hitting. So I basicly reshifted my jaw which brings me to the TMJ or muscle spasm theory.
   But then again it was weeks without wearing the partial before it started. I tried using some wax drops marine ear or whatever...and it didn't help but I did notice since putting the drops in both ears now I occasionally get tingling and itching in my ears. Maybe it's a combination of my neck and my jaw I don;'t know but I'm leaning towards my neck problem.
Im 32 years old
I don't drink
I smoke and chew back and forth trying to quit smoking
my blood pressure is fine as I see a pain doc every month n just went today.
I take pain meds but have been for 6-7 years
I have 2 herniated disks in my lumbar (low back) and 2 bulging in my cervical(neck)
I do tend to clinch my teeth when I sleep but never had pain from it

I'm still leaning towards neck because I also used to be able to crack it both ways when it got real sore and now it hurts to try and I haven't gone a day in over 2 weeks where I haven't woken up without severe pain and stiffness in my neck and shoulders. I actually think there are a lot of posters above me that should think about seeing a chiropractor for your neck and see if that helps...there are a lot of nerves that control a lot of things in your head that are in and through your cervical spine. I am going to either go get a deep tissue massage or see a cracker quak and get an adjustment and see if it helps. I'm curious if you figured anything out Ozone?  BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU! I can be reached at SirRidok at aol *******...     God Bless!
Avatar n tn
Hi, there. \o
Does anyone here use buds (The audio kind)?
I prefer using headphones to listen to music on my phone. Since buds seem to never stay put, in my ears. But since mine has developed a loose cable, I switched back to using buds again. And have noticed the pulsing has started in my left ear again.
I have it in any position and not only when laying down.

I have to agree that coffee seems to make it worse and also when with a hang over it can be even worse.
Well we are quite a lot with this problem. It all started since using mobile phone technology close to my ear, so I am not longer using it without speaker on. Its a combination of past hearing use and abuse: loud music, loud bangs, drilling, swimming, ear infections, wax, poking you name it I've heard them all. My left ear is the one with the thumping while both left and right produce the constant ringing which I've learnt to live with it. I am now also switching off the router at night (wireless) and mobile phones too!. I discovered that changing posture helps in my case, as it appears that being tense/anxious can trigger it. Thanks to all who shared the experiences.
I have had the same problem or similar problem. My right ear was making a loud thumping noise and would wake me up in the morning. It was loud and irregular. The sound it made was like if you put your finger on the piece of skin just forward of the ear canal and push in and release. It makes a thumping sound. That is what I was hearing.
I finally figured out how to fix it today.
I was thinking it was caused by muscles around the ear and have tried acupressure on the muscles forward and below the ear. They were very tight but I got no relief. Today I tried inside the ear just aft of the ear canal.
There was a very tight muscle that felt as hard as a bone but with constant pressure for about 2 minutes it started to relax. And gone was the annoying thumping.

Hope this helps.
I have the twitch which sounds like or feels like a drum beating (when I have stress or drink too much caffeine).

But even more annoying is the most recent constant vibration inside my ear (like a moth is fluttering in my inner ear). It causes me to have to yawn constantly and my eyes have not stopped watering because of it. It has been going on for 5 days non stop while I am awake.

It is not caused by stress or caffeine, as I have not been drinking caffeinated beverages or eating chocolate or any other stimulants to aggravate it.  

I've tried everything over the last 5 days (including searching forums for other people's experiences and advice) And I finally found something that worked!!! Aleve-D (not sure about other decongestants, but Aleve is the only one that works for me when I have sinus pressure so that is what I had in my medicine cabinet).

The fluttering must be caused by a combination of allergies and sinus congestion which affects my inner ear.

The moment it starts coming back, I take another half of the Aleve-D decongestant and it's gone again for 6-8 hours.

I hope this helps all of you as well! If you have tried cutting out the caffeine and have taken antibiotics and flushed your ears and the fluttering is still there, try taking a strong decongestant. It could simply be allergies and sinus pressure you aren't aware of.

NOTE: Aleve-D is really strong, so I only take a half a pill at a time and it has been working for me without fail!
I have the same problem, all the time and I did find something that helps a ton. Believe it or not, the sound of my tower-fan being on makes it stop. No other sound does, and it only happens to me when I'm sitting on the floor, or in total silence trying to sleep.

The tower fan is the ONLY thing that helps me sleep, and it's instant relief. Not another 'thump' from the moment I turn it on.

I'm beginning to think mine is caused by high blood pressure, or anxiety attacks or something because most times it happens(so I've taken note of) is when my pulse goes warp-speed on me. But the 'thumping' doesn't follow my pulse even a little. It's like there's a drum solo going on in there and I can feel it in my ear and part of my neck.

I recommend trying a tower fan. Mine is made by Lasco.
I share the vibration issue, in my right ear.
It is only a small part of a number of symptoms I have gotten lately.

During same week;
- Greatly reduced blood circulation
- Left shoulder pain
- Fingers and toes hurting, having burning sensations and hands having loss of strength
- Neck pain, moving itself around the Trapezius muscle area
- Muscle spasms in random muscle at the second I'm fallng asleep

I am absolutely clueless to how that can happen all at once.

I got a doctors appointment tomorrow.
My own guess after googling through thousands of posts already, is a mix between trapped nerves, tensed muscles in trapezius and anxiety making everything worse.

The vibration I have, definitely ''sounds'' like a muscle tensing somewhere, because of the way it often stops and begins abruptly.
Always when trying to sleep and when waking up, but also if just being in a quiet place without other sounds.
3/30/14 Update - the noise is still there, but tolerable and manageable. The noise is dissipating a little at a time. The reason is a very conscious reminder each time I hear the noise, to relax my face and jaw muscles. It's better. Also, dropped caffeine in half, from 6 cups a day to 2. Stress is still high, but being mindful that I cannot always control the situation or the outcome the stress is unfounded. Not  mine to own. I heard somewhere, if you think the worst scenario your body is already living it. Sounds perfectly logical.
Trying to control my itchy ear with medicine is promising - no longer dig at my ears with q-tips. I know, not supposed to do that anyway. But when I wake in the middle of the night with my finger in my ear it's better to use the q-tip. Best of luck. Continue to read all your updates - prayers are with each of you. Bless you!
I also have had the monkey drumming in my right ear for almost 15 years.Once in awhile the left one decides to play too (not at the same time).   I never know when it's going to start and stop - strangest thing! I did 5 years ago get an MRI from and ENT as I was starting to wonder if maybe there was something like a tumor.  MRI came out clear thank goodness but it still annoys me.  I have had years of neck issues/pain/tightness.  My physical therapist believes it's absolutely related to my neck as once in awhile when she works on me she can get it going.  I don't know but the muscle spasm comment above makes a lot of sense to me.  Tonight the drumming moved a bit to be not exactly in my earn but behind my eyes a bit and my eye did twitch a bit which is something new but my neck is really out of whack today.   I think I will go back to doc and explore it again because it's been awhile and while I would not take meds for it as it's not horrible (doesn't keep me awake like others - although happens often in bed but I fall asleep), nevertheless it's annoying and can be worrisome.  
I haven't noticed the vibration so much lately.
It has started to disappear almost completely, most days.

Like I suspected, it was probably a muscle in the neck somewhere.
It got way better after visiting a chiropractician.
About a month ago fir no reason my right ear developed a fluttering noise, very low volume but I can hear it when in quite room,triggered by noise...I went to ent and said muscle spasm of inner ear...should go away by itself in about 2 months, no medication was given or asked as I prefer to let my body cute itself , I ll keep you posted
Hi Guys

I thought I was the only one that had this thumping problem in my left ear. Mine started about a month ago!. I was asleep and at about 6 the next morning I heard this thumping in my ear. Until I read all off your comments I thought it was an ant in my ear because of the ant plaque we have but know I feel a kind of relief to know that it is not an ant. But I still have to go and see a doctor for some meds because if this keeps on for years on even days I would likely cut my ear off that have another sleepless night. At first it was just in the mornings from 4 till 6 am and only when I lay on my left ear but for the last 2 days its been going on from when I go to bed until I get up and no matter what side I lay on its thumping continuously. And even during the day I feel the vibrating sensation.
Ok well I had head surgery about 4 months ago & obviously been on some meds before & after the surgery so maybe that is what caused this vibration in my left ear. The problem is how do I get rid of it...its very annoying !!!!!
Yesterday I visited an Ear, Nose and Throat consultant.  He did hearing and other diagnostic tests in both ears, as both are affected by the firm fluttering feeling and sounds.  His diagnosis was that the muscles controlling the eardrum are causing the problem in exactly the same way as a twitch/tic on your cheek or eye may occur.  The treatment is Magnesium, taken as a supplement, although it is also to be found occurring naturally in dried fruits, beans, nuts, green leafy vegetables, brown rice, wholemeal bread and chocolate.   I shall start taking Magnesium today and hope that my years of pooand interrupted sleep may be coming to an end.
I think you might have a point. I've had fluttering in my left ear for the past week and it was starting to wake me up at night. I found this thread to read up on ideas for a cure. My spouse gave me a neck stretch last night as my neck was tight, and the fluttering has stopped for now. I also found massaging the muscles on the jaw helpful, as well as the usual hold nose/blow hard to relieve pressure in ears. I see my chiro today so will bring it up with him as he knows all sorts of tricks! (If anyone is looking for a chiro, ask if they do cranial adjustment on the head.)
I get this too. Mine definitely is a twitching muscle as I also get muscle twitches in other parts of my body - eyelid, chin, toes (not all at once!) It's exactly the same sensation but more distressing as you can hear it as well as feel it! I had it for months but now only comes back when I'm tired, stressed or anxious. Magnesium is definitely worth a try, as is relaxation. I hope you all manage to get rid of it!
HOW MY EAR PROBLEM WAS CURED--- KEEP READING--- I had an unbearable fluttering/twitching/spasm or whatever you want to call it that drove me into a near depression. I ignored it for a week and when it was still there I knew action was needed. I looked all over the web and at various sites for a solution. I came across Tinnitus as well as a variety of other diagnoses but all that the websites gave me were symptoms and recommendations to "go see a doctor". I read that many people had gone to the doctor's and that they either didn't know what to do or were dismissive. Whatever the case doctors were no help. I read other people complaining about the exact same symptoms, an inner ear twitch/spasm/fluttering, that sounded like when you first go underwater. Like a pocket of water got stuck in your ear and then unplugged and re-plugged itself 5 times every second. It was only one of my ears and eardrops only made things worse. It never happened in my sleep (that I was aware of). And it was made worse when I burped or held the belch in (internal burp). The most dis-heartening thing was reading people's stories and how some of them had it for YEARS!!! Other started visiting a doctor and never updated their posts leaving me without a conclusion as to whether they were cured or not. At that point I said if I ever get rid of this ear twitch I am going to update a few sites with what worked for me. The following is how I was cured. Background: I never had ear problems before. I am in my late 20's. Male. Healthy. One day my inner ear started twitching at a rate of 5 or so switches a second. If you stick your finger in your ear to block out all sound and then remove it and repeat a few times this is what it felt like. Painless, no dis-charge, no real noticeable symptoms to anyone EXCEPT ME!!!  I waited for it to go away for weeks but it did not. If it did stop, the slightest burp, yawn, or even swallow could set my inner ear into a spasm. How I became cured. FIRST: I PRAYED. It's possible that not everyone who reads this will have faith in god. Still, I have to give credit where it's due and it was part of the steps that I took to get rid of it. I prayed to god to take away the spasm. For the lord to forgive me of my sins and show mercy on me. I knew that god could stop the spasms without a thought and kept faith in my holy father. SECOND: I STOPPED thinking about it. The more I poked it, poured ear liquids on it, cleaned it, and talked about it, THE MORE IT CAME. When I slept I did not feel it so I figured I was "sub-consciously" triggering it. You have to remember that it is a spasm. And all spasm are created by the brain. You are doing it to yourself. The brain is an extremely powerful organ. You have to train it to forget that little muscle it is now causing to spasm. If the muscle does not exist the spasm will not exist. I hope this makes sense to everyone. THIRD: I went back into my memory to figure out when EXACTLY it started. I then looked at my before and after the spasm to see what could have triggered it. The only things that were different in my life that I could think of that could be related was a recent surf session where water jammed against my ear and maybe some loud car music from a few new techno songs. I tested both to see if they were the culprits. I swam under water over and over to see if it would stop or trigger the ear problem (and to clean out my ears, hoping the chlorine would help). It triggered it a bit. Not over the top though. I blasted the music and it seemed to stop until the music was shut off. Maybe the music was the problem. ONE BURP LATER and it hit me!!! When it did go away one internal burp or hiccup is all it would take to set it off again. I had been burping a lot because of a relatively new high protein weight lifting diet I was on. At that point I attacked it 3 ways. I STOPPED THE PROTEIN DIET. I STOPPED BLASTING MUSIC. AND I STOPPED SWIMMING. Once the protein stopped the burping slowed and so did the spasms. And instead of swimming I slept or relaxed allowing my brain to "forget" the spasm. Anything I felt triggered the ear problem I stayed away from. It did not go away right away but after a few months it ended. Even after it ended I waited a few months before writing this article to make sure my brain would not remember the whole ordeal TOO ACCURATELY lol In conclusion: I think what happened is I over abused my hear surfing, listening to music too loud, and burping out loud and holding it in. All of this damaged my ear by tearing at it or leaving it inflamed. By staying away from all irritants I allowed it to heal. The chlorine flush may have helped. The ear drops may have helped. But in my opinion it was the combination of everything I did that ultimately cured me. God answered my prayers. He can answer yours.
I have the issue with my left ear pulsating and hurting with sound in my right ear, along with hyperacusis (sensitive to sound) I recently did 7 days of ciprodex with helped the pain I was having but still have the pulsating and sound sensitivity. Started gabapentin about 3 weeks ago up to 600mg a day at first I seen results with my head pulsating with looking at computers or my phone but now it slowly coming back...just wondering if anyone found out what causes this? ...had tinnitus in left ear since Oct of 13 this all started about July of 14 and getting worse until I started taking meds (gabapentin and klonipin (klonopin) as needed (very small dose 0.25)

Thanks for any advice
Hi rose I have a similar issue regarding the inner ear, mine flares,up when I'm listening to music, not to loud or the tv, it goes from right to left, some days it doesn't bother me though my doctor said my right ear canal is red and sore but my left ear looks fine so I may go back to get refered to the ear nose throat department at the hospital.
I suffered a bad ear infection as a child and my hearing has not been the same its getting to the point my inner ear is hurting.
Wish you all the best and hope it has worked out for you and your court case.

Best wishes
My doctor is convinced it is either two things a dental issues, suggested a biological cavitation dental  surgery to clean out the dental sites of where i had my wisdom teeth removed, or it is my sinuses, In my case it was both the hidden dental issue was infecting the sinus area , the dentist clean out the infection and gave me a sinus lift, interesting the dentist said the sinus tissue he could see was gray blackish , like a bruise. The  infection and that sinus tissue is supposed to be pink and healthy. The infection and inflammation was  putting pressure on the nerve so I had this light ringing and the ENT doctor said,it was from my sinuses not draining and the sinuses are swollen and slight infection he suggested surgery to open the draining, I in great health besides this I did have mold exposure a few years back and i know this can cause all sorts of issues,  I think this whole thing was caused from 3 rhinoplasty's that i had in the past so the sinus surgery go the sinuses draining and cured. I also started cleaning my ear out with food grade hydrogen peroxide
TY for the tinnitus info, but we're not talking about ringing or buzzing sounds in the ear. I do have tinnitus too, but the other issue we are all having is taking place in either the ear-drum or some type of muscle - if there are any at all, that is causing the ear drum to physically beat like a drum, it's not just a sound, you feel it moving, physically vibrating. It would be the same sensation if you put a miniature vibrator down your ear canal and turned it on.
I get the sensation there is a psycho monkey drumming in my left ear for seconds, multiple times a day, everyday, yet sometimes I notice it less. It would be best described as a muscle spasm behind or around my ear. Never the right ear.
At first I thought it could be fatigue, cause it seemed like the feeling I get when I yawn real hard (lol), but after the two month, figured something's wrong.

I have this kind of probleme as I type, and for a couple of months from now. I started a new job, where there are alot of loud noises, and stress related to it's dangerous environement. I also take cafeine in coffes or energy drinks like 3 or 4 a week, never more.

As I surf the web for a solution, I came accros this page -
http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus/tensor%20tympani%20and%20stapedius%20myoclonus%20tinnitus.html -
I tought I'd share it with yous.
This syndrome is said to be a defensive mechanism of the body to prevent hearing loss by muscles contraction,reducing the vibrations of the eardrum, sorta like when you close your eyes to prevent eye damage.
Best soft-healing method I've found on the web yet are: massage shoulder and neck by a professional, physio, any anti-stress treatement. Get ALOT of good sleep, relaxation, hot towels on the neck muscles, massage, relax even more, reduce cafeine intake, meditate, tell yourself you are already healing, as your body is always trying to heal itself. Comforting your mind that it will cure because the source that triggered the defensive mechanism is gone now.
Hope this helps, and that we all get better soon!
First of all, I'm sorry your suffering so much.
My mother had chronic ear ringing and after years of suffering with it a surgeon operated on her ear and she got well. I hope that can be an option for you and all with this terrible disease. Will pray for you and allsuffering readers.
Your answer is very helpful to me, as I have been on the NSAID (anti-inflammatory) drug Meloxicam and for the past week, I have been taking cough syrup with phenylalanine (antihistamine).  I believe  you hit the nail right on the head!  I can't thank you enough!  You're awesome!
I think you just diagnosed me. You described it perfectly. I'm getting out of sinusitis and I have had more coffee recently, too. As my symptons are recent, it figures.Thank you!
I too am dealing with rhythmic pulsating in my ear.  It is hugely annoying.  I'm wondering if it's related to allergies or anxiety, or both. It does tend to happen at night when I'm tired, but also doesn't always go away in the morning- maybe due to stress and anxiety?  
All my life I've gotten this whenever I yawn, when I close my eyes and focus on the muscles I can make it start and stop as I please. It's very odd and I've always wondered if people experience the same thing. It sounds as if my eardrums are fluttering rapidly and causing a strange wind tunnel sound. I find it somewhat entertaining to see how long I can keep it going.
I have MS, and this happens to me quite frequently at night, and only at night, right after I close my eyes to go to sleep. The vibrations vary in intensity but always in both ears simultaneously. For the longest time, I thought it was brain itself having a spasm because it makes my whole head shake pretty violently. While it's happening, I am basically paralyzed and unable to will myself out of it. Paralysis lasts for only a few seconds but it seems like an eternity. It's a scary thing to have to go through almost every night, making me afraid to even fall asleep sometimes, but it is not life-threatening or too much of a cause for concern so that helps the anxiety. Some say it is a symptom of anxiety, but I think it's due to my MS and is a cause for anxiety, not a symptom thereof. Just my personal opinion.
Hello there,got the same same thing.in my situ
ation its caused by stress and anxiety. And I also
Suffer from sleep apnea.hope that helps.
I've had this condition for years and it doesn't
Worry me anymore ,it's only in the left year. It can
Also be caused by lack of sleep.

Cheers

I have been having this annoying vibrations in my ear for awhile now, it is only when I am laying down or I am around something I'm allergic too. It's like Chinese water torture! I have seen a lot of comments that it may be anxiety, it is not anxiety in my case!!! But, I am glad to hear that others have experienced this, so I know I am not alone! So, the question is... How do you make it stop!?
Avatar n tn
This annoying vibrations in my left ear drum started about half an hour ago. It's  10.35 PM here in India... temperature about 10deg C ... about 50deg F.... cool but not cold.

Never ever had it befote

Pulling the ear lobes and external parts of the era seem to help.... tho. .. the vibration restarts few minutes later.

I am scared, though. ... similar twitching/vibrations in my right eye few  years ago in similar weather led to detached retina of the right eye.

I am now 54 years and otherwise healthy except for chronic gas in my tummy and  body

Any clues or suggestions?
I am having that same issue.  Has anyone found a cure for it?
I have the same symptoms and I would have to agree that it's a lack of sleep issue. Low vitamin B12, Bc, and B6 (B complex, really) can cause adverse actions of the nerves, causing eye twitching, so I'm thinking maybe it's partly due to that. As for the retinal detachment - if you have an untreated inflammation, that can happen.
I don't know what it is but I get the vibraton sound & feeling in my right ear all the time especially when i turn my head to the left! I've had it for three months ever since my last bad migraine. my mom says it could have something to do with my migraines but I haven't had one in two months and this vibration noise is driving my crazy to the point where I cry & put my finger in my ear to plug out the noise. I don't know what it is, some people say they had vibrations in their ear & muscle relaxants helped but I don't think muscle spasm is what this is since its been happening everyday fir three months! sometimes the vibration gets really loud in my ear when I stand up to fast or when I come out of the shower the vibration is super loud. I've dealt with it for a long time now & im very agitated!
For me, This is generally caused by unbalanced sound.. For instance, if you have a fan running all the time on one side of your head...  I had it happen to me. Then realized when I turn my head it stopped.. I moved the fan to the other side and it was fine.. then after a few weeks, it started in that ear..  
I have the same problem that occurs maybe twice every two months , and it I only notice it wen I'm making a phone call and the phone is ringing . Why is that?!
Viewing 201-203 comments: