Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vibrational sounds and vertigo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Vibrational sounds and vertigo

Hello. I'm a 54 yo female and am in good health, so I thought. I have accute hearing, more so than average, because I hear things that a lot of ppl don't. In the last month, I started hearing low frequency sounds, and we shut everything off in the house, and the noise continued. I did not hear this while on vacation so I believe it does externally exist, but still have not figured out the culprit. Anyway, in the last two weeks I found that I could tap my head, above and behind both ears and in the center of my forehead, and cause a vibrational sound, much like a low frequency tuning fork. I can control the sound by either turning it on briefly by tapping, or when it continues on its own, I can tap and shut it off. When my husband snores at certain low frequencies this will set off this vibrational sound, and then when I tap my head, it shuts it off. If I brush my hair or scratch my head, during the day, I am aware of this, but not as accutely as at night. On the second time of tapping my head, I awoke the next morning with vertigo. I arose from bed and almost fell to my left, sideways, which was the side I was tapping. When I lie down and close my eyes, the room briefly spins. When I arise, I have to sit on the edge of the bed to gain my equilibrium. If I turn in bed, I get the same spinning, dizzy feeling. During the day, I can maintain my equilibrium pretty well, but I always have a slight disorientation or dizzy feeling, but I don't lose my balance, unless I get up from sitting on the couch. Anyway, I feel that these are all somehow interconnected, but I have no idea what is happening. I am going to make an appt with a doctor next week, but am unsure what specialty to contact. Have you ever heard of this before, and if so, what could it be? Also, what type of doctor would you recommend I see? Thank you so much for any help you can give. Rhonda
Read about "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" and see if that matches your symptoms. It sounds likely, given the triggers you describe for your vertigo. It's a common, benign, and easily treatable condition.
Thank you so much for your reply. I did some reading on BPPV after you brought this to my attention, and have come to the conclusion that this is definitely PART of the problem. I found that it's on the left side, and so I did the Epley Manuever several times last night in hopes of some relief. What happened is that I now feel dizzier, even while walking or sitting up, AND the low frequency sounds will not stop. I feel as if a low frequency, pulsating diesel motor is running in my bedroom, where it is more detectable. Walking on my hardwood floors or brushing my teeth set this sound off in the quiet of the night, as well. The sounds were so loud last night, that it was hard to sleep. It is mind maddening, to say the least. Do the sounds I hear and the BPPV have something in common that I am not finding in my research? I do believe that the tapping on my skull may have released a calcuim carbonate particle into my ear canals, causing the BPPV, but what was causing this sound in the first place, since that is what I had issues with, for starters. Thank you for any help any of you can give. Rhonda
Hi Rhonda. I have no idea what the sounds could be, and they would not be related to BPPV. However, BPPV sometimes accompanies other kinds of inner-ear disease. So maybe something else is going on.

The sound might be some form of tinnitus (head noise), but it doesn't sound typical for that.

You should see a neuro-otologist (ENT with extra training in the inner ear and its connections to the brain), also spelled neurotologist. Look for them in your state at the Web site of the American Neurotology Society (there is a PDF member list) and/or at the Web site of the Vestibular Disorders Association (use the "Find a Health Professional" feature). Doctors may not be specifically identified on these sites as neurotologists, but you can call the doctor's office and ask.

If they say they are an otologist, that is an ear specialist, and they may be just as good, but a doctor who has a certificate or training in NEURO-OTOLOGY would be even better--they are the real dizziness specialists.

If you have BPPV, the ENT may send you to a vestibular rehab therapist, who is a specially trained type of physical therapist, to clear the BPPV. Sometimes the debris may be in a canal that needs a different maneuver from the Epley. But first you need to see an ENT for a diagnosis.

Good luck!

Nancy
Thank you again for your response. I will definitely set up an appt with a Neuro-otologist, as I don't want to go from one doc to the next, trying to figure this out. This type of doctor makes the most sense to me, and I had never heard of this specialty, so thank you for passing this along. I'll let you know what they find, as I find this condition quite bizarre and unnerving!!
http://www.immed.org/

Examine every feature on the website, no matter how remote it may seem to be to your condition.  You will learn a lot, even if after reading all of it, you think it offers you no help.  

Also, investigate chelation.  Chelation IV's have helped with a lot of my neuro problems.

Interestingly, I have a severe hearing loss, but also hear the sounds G. Richard mentions, less now that I'm on chelation and utilizing what I learned from the above website.  This thing called life is like an amusement park:  merry-go-round or rollercoaster.  Either way, it's a wild ride!