Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vicodin, Now Muffled Hearing Day After
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Vicodin, Now Muffled Hearing Day After

Hi all,

I'm a pretty healthy 20 year old who has recently been experiencing back pain. I took 2x Norco yesterday at about 10:30 PM (5mg Hydrocodone, 325mg Acetaminophen) for a total of 10mg Hydrocodone and 650mg Acetaminophen (the bottle recommends 1-2 per 4-6 hours, so I didn't exceed the recommendation). About 15 minutes after ingestion, my hearing became muffled and I felt pressure in my ears. My ears were clogged as if I was on an airplane. About an hour later I went to a venue with some friends where loud music was being played (no alcohol was consumed). It's now 2:00 PM the following day (so 14 hours or so since ingestion) and my hearing is still muffled. My ears also crackle/pop when I swallow.

I did some research on Vicodin/Norco and found some scary stuff about people going deaf from it - however, in all the cases where the patient became completely deaf, they had been either steadily using and/or abusing it for years or ingesting huge amounts (100mg-200mg, which is 10x to 20x times what I took) in relatively short periods (2-6 months). I simply took one dose (2x Norco) which is the recommended level.

I should add that I used hydrocodone almost exactly the same time last year. The prescription was for about 12 Vicodin pills which I used over the course of 2 weeks. I felt completely fine and had no noticeable effects after that usage. 2 months later after a plane ride I noticed that my ears popped/crackled when I yawned/swallowed. I got a hearing test done about 2 months after I noticed that. The test showed that I had excellent hearing in all ranges, and the ENT explained my symptom away as something normal. The feeling had since subsided.

For what it's worth, I read an anecdotal report about some guy who took 11 prescribed doses of Vicodin for his injury and suffered serious hearing loss - fortunately, he fully recovered 3 weeks after ceasing usage.

Anyway, I'm a bit of a paranoid person and I'm a little anxious right now. There is really no way I should have any serious issues from my normal doses, but I'm still kinda worried. Some thoughts would be great.

Thanks for reading.
Tags: Vicodin, Muffled hearing, norco, hydrocodone
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ear, Nose & Throat Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank