Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Vocal chord injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Vocal chord injury

About six years ago, when I was in high school, I got involved in an incident in which a fellow student wrapped his arm around my neck from behind in an apparent attempt to black me out. While I didn't black out, I believe that this did cause significant damage to my voice. For a week after the incident, I felt pain in my throat. And ever since then, I haven't been able to hit high notes, my voice becomes hoarse and cracks randomly, I can't speak softly without whispering, I feel a slight strain when I talk, and sometimes I have to make my voice deeper just to avoid whispering. Prior to the injury, I was able to hit high notes regularly while singing and was even able to falsetto. Now I can nowhere near hit high notes and when I try to do so, it causes severe strain on my voice. I plan on making an appointment with an ENT specialist, but want to learn as much about my situation from others who are familiar with something similar. Since the injury occured six years ago and has been left untreated, how likely is it that my inability to hit high notes, hoarsness, etc. is permanent and that I will have no help from surgery and/or therapy?

Thanks everyone for reading.
Sounds like possible permanent vocal cord damage; damage to the Larynx.  I am not sure IF surgery will even help as this point, but I will leave that up to the physician to decide.  

Six years?  Way too long to have this sorted out.  

When is the appointment with ENT?

The strangulation must have caused hemorrhage of the vocal cords leading to fibrosis in a later stage or there must be paralysis of either of the vocal cords. It would be wise to consult a phonosurgeon rather than running around. A thorough laryngeal examination including stroboscopy has to be performed followed by voice therapy.

Any more doubts you are welcome.

Regards
OHNS2010

Without proper examination it is very difficult to say whether you will benefit after visiting a phonosurgeon or not. Please do have faith in your doctors, they will definitely help you out. There are different modalities of treatment for different conditions for example: If there is any vocal cord palsy they might do corrective procedures, if there is change in the thickness of the cords you might require a laser surgery. If the anatomy is perfect then voice therapy will be advocated.

Please go with open mind you will be happy. May God bless you.

Regards
OHNS2010