Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Voice problems - excess mucus - raspy voice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I have a very annoying throat problem that effects my speaking. My current job is in a call center where i am constantly talking on the phone. I have been having so many problems with my voice effecting my work I don't know what to do anymore. One of the main problems was excess mucus in throat and getting to the point I can barely talk to someone on the phone. Usually this was after eating. So I have been watching the food I eat and don't eat foods like dairy or cheese especially before I work. It also got so bad that I refused to eat anything at work! I then started eating something small like an apple for supper. I know that is very unhealthy. I have never smoked and don't drink any coffee. I also found that coughing up the mucus only WORSENS the problem. So I have been trying to remain calm and not cough it up. I also saw my doctor who prescribed a nasal spray for possible post nasal drip. I don't think that helped. I had also started using Neti Pot for clearing my sinuses. And also started drinking Apple Cidar Vinegar. This all has helped a bit with the mucus problem. I don't think it is acid refux as I never have heartburn. I still feel my voice has problems. It is very crackly or raspy. Many people on the phone ask me if I have a cold. It gets so bad that I can barely talk clear, very annoying and frustrating. I've found that when I walk to work (30 minutes) in the cold I have a worse day (especially at the beginning). But if I drive it's better. A few times when I used the neti pot right before work I've been almost out of breathe to talk to anyone. So I started using it a few hours before my shift. I've tried drinking honey, lemon, and tea before my shift and during. That has helped a little bit. I am at the point I don't know what to do already. I really need to keep this job as I have a family to support. I don't know if it is a confidence issue with my speaking ability? I've never been a good speaker. I tend to speak quieter so co-workers don't hear me as well, especially when my voice is bad. This problably ends up making the problem worse. I would really appreciate if anyone has ANY suggestions as to what I can do to help my voice. I wish I could just take something that would coat my throat and help me speak clear. Thanx.
Tags: voice, mucus
If your doctor is correct, and he usually is, the post-nasal drip may be causing your throat problems. What often is the case, is that there's an infection in your sinuses, be it a bacteria, fungus, or virus, and the toxins caused by your white blood cells attacking it drains into your throat and irritates it.  It can go on indefinitely, without causing congestion.

I invented a sinus flush that will wash out the infection, if this is the case (there can be other causes of your problem, like allergies, but you can narrow it down). The flush has a risk involved to it, because you have to bend over in a shower.  You can find the directions for it by putting your cursor on the blue "friggy" and go to My Journal.

By chance, I had the same problem as you, once again, last week, after a bout of flu, including the loss of voice.  For research purposes, I got a neti pot to see if it would work as well as The Sinus Flush.  It provided some relief, but seemed to do a half-a*sed job, or more precisely, a half-sinus job, not reaching the upper part of my sinuses where my infection was. Of course, results may vary.

If you don't want to try it, at least get the saline formula and gargle with it--you will get some relief for your throat.
Firstly, Go Sharks! *wink*

I have the same issue and I also have many food intolerances/sensitivities/allergies.

If you can, try 1 or 2 weeks of ONLY healthy brown rice with real Irish butter and real sea salt (for flavor), baked chicken (no seasonings - maybe lime or lemon if you desire), no sodas, no alcohol, no nothing but plenty of water (maybe a little bit of NATURAL/NO SUGAR cranberry juice - Trader Joe's sells some) and see if it helps your situation.

If you are suffering enough you will try anything like I did. You will basically be giving your body a break from foods and possible food "allergies", and you will also be cleansing your body (watch the extra lbs fall off in that 2 weeks, plus you'll lose all your sweet cravings.. miraculous and true.)

Good luck.
Thanx for the suggestions, I will have to give them a try. I actually had a decent week for my voice.... until TODAY! At work my voice did really well Mon, Tue, Wed, and okay on Thu. But Friday it was almost like I had no power in my voice and had trouble speaking clear. One person on the phone at work told me I had a hoarse voice. And someone else asked if I had a cold. It is so frustrating. So what did I do different from the rest of the week? Well, Thursday late night I had 2 beer and chicken wings (which are probably loaded with sugar). And for breakfast I had eggs and whole grain flax bread. I had used my neti pot all week and Friday before work as well. I also started last week snorting saline water up my nose and then tilting my head back quickly  it goes out the throat. I did that the rest of the week and seemed to help. So I am trying to narrow the problem down. Possibilities for todays cause.... beer, eggs, maybe the sugar from chicken wings, or maybe I just disrupted something in my throat when using the saline solution. One other thing too it may be, I had used a humidifier all week but believe I forgot to turn it on the last day. It is very likely that I need a humidifier in these dry winter months. For some reason it almost seems like honey/lemon and tea almost makes my throat worse. It creates more mucus and causes more voice problems it seems.
GoOiilers: It sounds like you you have covered all of your bases, on you problem, however the biggesest advantage is abstaining from the mucous forming foods,  Cheese is solidified mucous!  However I do believee this will definetily help you.,Espeacially if you notice it more awhile after eating.  The large intestine is reflexly related to all parts of the body and could be housing a multitude of mucous withinin itself, espeacially in the transverse colon.  Everytime there is peristalsis thru the transverse colon you may be getting the mucous response from that uncleanly enviroment.  Antidote get at least one colonic irrigation, if you donot pass a satisfactory amount of debris get another.  On top of that take some form of smooth texture psyillium husks, every night with a large glass of water following.  If you feel it has bound you up more back off awhile. Good luck , let me know how everything came out?
I had a very rough and raspy voice for more than a decade.  Before that and now I have a smooth clear first tenor voice.  My voice cleared up in mid word when I started taking methylb12.  It was caused by a neurological problem caused by vitamin b12 deficiency, along with a lot of other symptoms.  Also, the deficiency had made my mucous very thick and sticky with a consistancy like stiff jelly.  Only certain brands of sublingual methylb12 work and other cofactors are needed with it to.
ive been having this same problem for 5-6 years..but a month ago it was rectified...the reason was tht excess mucus was produced by my diseased tonsils and they used to be in my thorat and on interupting with my vocal chords all the time..before i took an endoscopy i felt that my vocal chord had nodules and that is why i couldnt speak,but it wasnt so..after which tht doctor showed me my throat video in which the tonsils had grown up giving rise to excess bacteria and mucus production which does not go easily and the voice gets much hoarse after misuse,after which he prescribed me a medicine called "Allegra" for few days which i took for 5 days,that didnt reduced my tonsils,but made me speak properly,with a proper pitch and tone,with no problems at all..and 5 days later after i got operated ....the excess mucus had been completely stopped with no worries on my voice ...am really happy now..im completely alright,but this information helps you..take care !
I have the same symptoms and I have researched these exhaustively. They are related to GERD,  which has probably progressed to LPRD. Both can be symptomless and don't always generate the classic symptoms of hearburn.
Take Nexium (20mg) one a day  for at least 4 weeks, 6 is ideal. If my diagnosis is incorrect, whch I dont beleive it is,  then  no harm done anyway and at least you will have then eliminated a possible cause.  

Hope this helps
Sean
I've got the same problem !

And it's been bugging me for a week. I thought it was just cause I've been talking a lot, and using my Spanish a lot (Spanish is spoken faster than English and averages 3 or 4 more words per sentence than English - an easy voice strain if you'r enot used to it).

But, I have had a lot of sinus drainage lately.

I have a lot of sinus trouble, and tend to get sinus infections easily. They usually go away in time (the work of those wonderful little white blood cells !). But, this is the first time I've had trouble with my voice.

I have found that if I sing along with some soft music on the radio on my way in to work, or while I'm sitting here on the puter, it actually helps. Not if I try to belt it out like Janis Joplin... but softly... gently...

Thank you for all of the pointers in the posts. The problem is much better than it used to be. I've learned lots since then. I went to an ENT who didn't see a problem. He prescribed Nasacort nasal spray for post nasal drip. It took a while to work, but I really like it now. The annoying mucus that just sits deep down will more easily be removed with Nasacort. I have also been on Ranititine. Not sure if that is helping but I take it anyways. And along with that just an over the counter allergy relief pill which the ENT told me to take. So with the combo of those 3, it's much better. Haven't had anybody tell me my voice was hoarse in while. Over a year ago I went to a Naturopath and the strict diet completely took away the mucus but gave me a hoarse voice. I ate all heathy foods and tonnes of almonds and nuts. I did research and found out that almonds can cause tight throat which causes hoarseness! Ever since then I have cut out peanuts and almonds to be safe. Speech therapy helped too with proper breathing techniques. And I guess there is always the basics to cut back on things like milk and cheese. I won't even drink milk anymore. I will usually only have cheese on my days off of work. Oh and I started to run a warm mist humidifier in my bedroom during the winter months when it is very dry. Personally, I think that is one of the best things for hoarseness. But be very careful of mold in room with over use! In regards to mucus, try to target what food is causing the problem. For instance a while back the mucus was worse than ever for myself. I could hardly speak properly. Well, I had started taking a protein power smoothy after working out. That stuff is so loaded full sugars and stuff to clog you up. All of these things have helped the problem and I am much happier, BUT the problem is still there but on a lesser extent. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please share :) Hopefully some of my tips help you!
I have the same problem.  It turned out to eosiniphilic esophagitis.  This is where an overabundance of white blood cells causes your esophagus to become inflamed.  It is caused by a food or enviromental allergy. Go see a gastroenterologist to get this checked.
Hello. I have just joined this site to get a suggestion to you in regard to your mucous problem and its affect on your speech. I have this exact same problem also, and I know how frustrating it is. It causes me more unhappiness struggling to communicate than anything else.  My suggestion is this- try drinking peppermint tea regularly. I put 2 teabags in the cup. It is brilliant at relieving this problem somewhat. It is no cure, but it always helps to clear and open the throat area of mucous and free the vocal chords, especially after meals. You could even try taking a flask of strong peppermint tea to work with you and sipping small cups throughout the day.  There are many other approaches and supplements etc, but this is something that has no contraindications and only ever helps. In my experience, ordinary black tea, even without milk, only worsens the problem, as does green tea. Sugar, including all fruit sugar especially worsens the problem- even lemon. Apple cider vinegar does also, and obviously dairy.
   I hope this helps you.
\Hello
I was diagnosed with small cell sarcoma this past January 2010 . Chemo and radiation shrunk my tumor from 2.3 to 1.8  The doctors have told me I would be around for a lot longer . Now I have had some real issues with my throat.....for the past month I have had a rraspy voice almost at times losing it . My throat is sore at times and I have a cough  with it . I know I should go to my doctor...but I am scared what he might say . Please if you will respond to this  question I would appreciate it .
Thank-you in advance
Stormy55
It sounds to me like you might have a nodule or a polyp on your vocal folds that may be exasperated by acid. Maybe you don't think you have acid reflux, but hoarseness is one of the symptoms, so it's worth looking into. You don't always experience heartburn with reflux. You should see an otolaryngologist at your hospital and eventually see and ENT (Ear, nose, and throat doctor) They will help you figure out the problem by looking at your vocal chords and your Larynx to see if there are any problems. This is the best thing because they can almost always diagnose and treat voice issues. You might need some vocal therapy and or Protonics or if it is really serious a laser surgery that will get rid of any nodules or polups if that is what you have. Hope this helps :)
HI.

Did your ENT do use a scope to look down your throat and vocal cords, called a Larynoscopy?  If NOT, I would definitely recommend this.  I am singer and had a similar problem and went to an ENT for over 6 months and he told me nothing is wrong and do this and this - NO improvement!

I think got fed up and went to Kaiser and asked for Larynoscopy (where they put scope in your mouth and take video of your throat and cords and finally was diagnosed with a Non-cancerous growth, which continues to grow if not treated with laser surgery to remove.  I had it removed and after 6 weeks, my voice was back to normal.

I do recommend also continuing you diet, eliminating ALL suger, starch, dairy and if you can meat (or light organic meat no more then 2x a week).  Also ONLY drink distilled water and maybe some coconut water and tea - NO fruit, fruit juices or other suger drinks.  Last ALL your breads and yeast foods and of course ALL processed and fast or fried foods.  Use coconut oil to cook all your food and try to eat your food not overcooked and the more raw green foods and veggies and gluten free good the best.  Tons of water always and get 45 minutes of high aerobic excercise 5x a wee.  For vitamins take C, Calcium/mag with vit D, Probiotics & fish oil all daily.  

I hope this helps, its me and many others :)
Hi all, I am a final yr student and I am having problems with my voice for the past 2 yrs or so. It was quite normal and sound before that. Took endoscopy CRT scans n all those stuff n the doc told that my vocal chords are very normal. But the videos showed presence of white fluid, probably mucus, settled here n there disrupting my voice. And that was mainly due to Dust Allergy..As a result, when i start speaking it is damn tough to commence especially words which start with 'GR' 'GO' 'TR' etc like grapes Godrej Train . but once i start, things go normal till i finish that particular breath. again when i restart after a brief pause, i have the same difficulty. This prob s so embarrassing esp while speaking on phone where there are many conversations but each conversation is short lived with pauses in between( giving rise to many new breaths to be taken).
     But i can sense that my lifestyle has changed a lot during these 2 yrs. Will that be a reason for this?? like i used to sleep by 10 or 11 , take food on time and avoid pollution during my school days. But now a days i sleep around 2 or 3 am , take breakfast at 11, lunch at 4 and so on...   And am exposed to loads of pollution everyday as i travel by two wheeler. This speaking prob was minimal at start, but it has gradually increased and today am not even able to talk properly with my family members at home.. i underwent some medication for some time, like those spray mentioned in previous posts. but it didnt produce much effect. I consulted a general physician recently and he mentioned acidity might be a reason for the formation of excess mucus in throat. So he adviced to change my lifestyle and bring it to how it was two years before. I am not interested in taking further medication because that will get me addicted to it. I want a permanent solution. I have decided firmly to switch back my way of living and as for pollution am gonna wear surgical masks while going out. Will these steps over a period of time help me to get out of my problem permanently ??  Is there any other way other than medicines to cure this problem??
what brands of b12 work?
Yes, I have the same question, pls answer, someone! Thank you!
I am sooooooooo thankful to have come across this forum on the internet, and have signed up right away! It's just so comforting to find other people out there with a voice like mine! : ( You can't even begin to feel how thankful I am, Kein ayin hora, it's just that I've never met any other person with the same problem as me, and I'm just so very frustrated with people asking me all the time if I have a cold or if I'm sick! Like GoOilers, I get nervous when it's time to talk on the phone, because I know I'll have to struggle with my voice! I have also considered that it could possibly be a lack of confidence! But I have since been assured that it is due to allergic rhinitis creating a thick mucous post nasal drip in the back of my throat! My prescription is 1 tab zyrtec every night, when I forget to take it, the problem gets worse, so it's best to take the antihistamine tab (zyrtec tab) every single night. My allergist even gives this to her own children and they have all been taking this for years, there are no adverse side effects. Also, nasal spray is needed along with that. So many thanks for everyone who has posted here! Thank you for all the insight!
I had a hoarse voice for 2 years..went to dr after 6 month. ENT dr. dropped camera, nothing put me on antiacid for GERD. 2 years later I am depressed still have hoarse voice, my hair was terrible so my hair gal tell me my thyroid or hormones are out of whack. I got to dr. He doesn't find thyroid CAUSE I drink a gallon of green tea a day...reading a magazine..!. my green tea and water flouride ever with filtering give false reading on thyroid 2. I had quit my MSM for summer as I don't need it for joint aches in summer. After 3 weeks my voice is back to normal and all I did was QUIT my green tea (herbal is OK so I a lot of chamomile) and I am back on my MSM for joints. What is a kicker is the Dr. would never see it as the component is green tea gives a false reading. OH my thyroid has shrunk to half it's size from 5 weeks ago when I thought I had goiter!
My father had a problem with post nasal drip, he would have to clear his throat all the time. I could always tell when he was nearby he would do it so often. In the past few years he started losing his voice, to the point where he'd go see a specialist to make sure it wasn't throat cancer. They had no suggestions for him, tried various medications and nothing worked. I told him it was a food sensitivity and that he should take dairy and gluten out of his diet. It went away within a couple of weeks. I'm pretty certain it's the gluten/wheat that was bothering him but dairy is also known to cause the same problems. A benefit to cutting out the gluten, you'll have more energy and he lost 25 lbs so far since Sept 2012..  hope this helps!
I would suggest you having Dabur product Sahdbindu oil......It is the ultimate solution for sinuses.........along with dabur Chawanparash......because Ent specialist had suggested me 6 years ago........and my sinuses are now under control.......There were tyms,i couldnt even able to drink cold drinks and have fruits....these medicines eliminated my sinuses.......so give it a try and get back to me...........

Hi, I'm South Asian and have problems with post nasal drip that causes my voice to get raspy. Here's an Indian/Pakistani home recipe that works better than any cough drops like Halls etc.

Mix 1/2  to 3/4 cup honey with a 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of powdered turmeric. The mixture will be thick and will coat your throat. Have a tbsp. of the mixture in the morning and at night before going to bed and in between if you need it. I'm also a smoker and the relief is immediate. Turmeric is a bright yellow spice and has many health benefits.You can find turmeric at any Indian/ Middle Eastern store, or order on line.
I have the 100% same problem that this guy told please suggest me what to do.
Harvinder
Calgary
403-667-9711