Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Weird smell in my nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Weird smell in my nose

I have been having a weird smell in my nose for a couple of months. This smell used to come and go but this time, it is doesn't go off.

In the past, the smell can be so strong that  it affects my sense of smell and taste. But now, although the smell stays, I can only smell ti when I breathe in and out hard.

This problem is really bothering me. Help please.  
Have you tried nasal irrigation?
what is it?
Nasal saline irrigation is a reasonable first step.  It is important to use buffered, normal saline.  Over-the-counter kits such as those made by NeilMed make it pretty easy.  Other conditions such as infections may not be treated well that way or may not go away with that treatment.  You should see an ENT doctor in that event.
I've seen a doctor yesterday and she gave me some antibiotics saying that it could be infection. But will this worsen? Because I'm having a major exam soon and it'll only end about a month later so I don't have time to see a ENT. The doctor I seen yesterday couldn't see anything wrong with my nose. Could it really be an infection?
Hope this helps.  I had the same sensation for 3 years and October 11/ 13 I had surgery for polyps removal in both nostrils. The smell you are experiencing is possibly a torn polyp or some infection from too much nasal spray.  I had the same operation in 94 and I could not smell or taste anything for 3 to 4 years. I still cannot smell or taste before this operation and it's driving me crazy. I feel miserable but hopefully in 3 to 4 weeks I will be back to normal. By the way, my polyps were,as my surgeon said, massive. Thank god they are gone.i got a tip that may help.  Use a Qtip and soak it with nazel spray and put it carefully in each nostril as far as you can go without hurting. You be surprised how far you can reach. I found by doing this in morning and before I go to bed at night that I could breath easier and get a good sleep, also I wasn't aggravating the polyps with too much overspray from the mist sprayers. You can email for better chats at       ***@****