Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Weird smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Weird smell

Ok so over the summer I had surgery on my nose to allow me to be able to breathe through the right side of my nose. They removerd scar tissue and a polyp I think that's how you spell it. So after the six weeks of recovering I thought every thing was going well I could breathe but when I went back to school this year I had caught a cold no big deal I got better then a few weeks latter I started smelling this foul smell that would not go away no matter what I did. Then I had got a stuffy nose which was no big deal so I went to blow my nose and this weird stuff came out of my nose it was like a blueish color and it smelled so bad it scared me. But after that I didn't smell the smell anymore which I was happy. Then a few weeks later it happend again I got the smell then I blew my nose and the same stuff came out. And this went on and on over this year. But then a month or so ago it came back so I figured that maybe if I blew my nose it would go away like it always did but it didn't go away. So like now I have this stuffy nose all the time and this smell. I have no idea what to do. I'm in high school so it's hard to deal with this smell. I don't know what to do it just keeps getting worse no matter what I do. I've read that it could be a sinus infection but I know it's not because I always get them and this is nothing like them and if it is then why didn't the anti-biotics I was taking get rid of it? All I really want is the smell to go away it's like the cross between a pair of old shoes and a really stinky bathroom. If someone can just tell me what I have to do I'll do anything I'll take any advice that I can get thank y'all for taking the time to read this.
Sounds like an anaerobic infection of your upper sinuses.  Antibiotics often don't work due to the lack of blood circulation to sinuses, and regular sinus irrigation won't reach it due to gravity.   This technique uses gravity instead of fighting it.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground.