Ear, Nose & Throat Community
What could be wrong?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

What could be wrong?!

Hi I'm a 16 year old, 17 in August. 6 foot male pretty healthy and active. I am having pain on my lower throat. It's kind of near the very bottom where the thyroid is. It is tender to the touch and it hurts a bit to swallow and burp and yawn. It is not a sore throat. It came about kind of sudden I was fine all morning went to the gym came back and ate and then maybe am hour and a half later I went to go lie down and then about 20 minutes after that I started to feel the pain. I think it is swollen but I'm not entirely sure. I know for a fact it is not my allergies. If someone could help it would be very appreciated!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

I assume you have pain on touching your neck in the anterior (front) aspect. If with touching you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the trachea. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Since this happened after a gym session, it could be due to an injury.  It can also be an enlarged lymph node or an inflammation of the thyroid gland. When in doubt, best to have it checked. I would advise you to consult your doctor, for proper evaluation of your symptoms. In the meantime for pain relief you can use OTC Tylenol (acetaminophen).

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.