What is the difference between the sinus disease and sinusitis?
I have seasonal allergic rhinitis and feel nose membranes are very dry and red with the nasal congestion. So I was evaluated with the CT scene. The CT report indicates “Mild bilateral maxillary sinus disease, the findings including mild mucoperiosteal thickening and early mucus retention cyst formation. A minimal amount of dependent free fluid is present within the left maxillary sinus, with no other findings to indicate acute sinusitis. No evidence of chronic sinusitis.”

What is the difference between the sinus disease and sinusitis and how to treat those two different diseases?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

‘Itis’ refers to inflammation. It could be anywhere in the body like arthritis. Absence of ‘itis’ means there is no present inflammation. Sinus disease could refer to long term changes in the sinuses due to episodes of inflammation. Usually only when the sinuses are inflamed they cause symptoms and hence need to be treated.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for the answer. I have known the sinusitis is the sinus has inflammation while the sinus disease may have no inflammation in the sinus, right? Can you explain what kind of problems can be sinus disease and how to treat it? In addition, does the allergic rhinitis need antibiotics or the antibiotics is only for the sinusitis?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sinus disease may not show acute signs of inflammation, but it can show evidence of disease like polyps in the sinus. If this is causing problems with drainage or headaches, it may need to be treated. Any allergic episodes do not need antibiotics, they are usually treated with antihistamines and if severe with steroids. With sinusitis there is usually infection with inflammation of the sinuses, hence antibiotics are prescribed.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.