Ear, Nose & Throat Community
What is this burning sensation under the skin of my cheekbones? Help!!...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

What is this burning sensation under the skin of my cheekbones? Help!!

Has anyone heard or experienced a burning sensation limited to the face, but under skin of both cheek bones.  It comes and goes; its is most prevalent upon waking up in the morning or later at night, but it also occurs during the day.  My PCP siid it was sinus infection because it affected both sides of my face.  Antibiotic treatment was unsuccessful.  Applying slight pressure to either cheek area can start up the burning.  Only Darvocet relieves the pain.  I really need help with this.  The discomfort is unbearable and very distracting.  Please help if you can.  Thank you.
Hi - I had burning sensation of face in areas of maxillary sinuses (cheek bone area) and also all the other sinus areas - ethmoid sinuses etc. I also had burning sensation inside my nasal passages as well.  6 yrs. later  I was diagnosed with vasomotor rhinitis.  So many doctor I can not keep track.  The burning sensation lasted a very long time and as time went on I ended up with chronic  post nasal drainage, swollen, discolored under eyes.  The swelling on my face ended up where I felt all the burning sensations, such as my cheek bone area , under eyes - outside sides of nose - and also where glasses would sit up high on the nasal bridge.-even my temple area. I don't know if you have any issues with your nose or not.  I also have watery eyes even though I was diagnosed as having dry eyes.  This all started at the same time.  Autonomic dysregulation of glands I guess that is how the doctor described it.  I hope that you do not have this as this has ruined my life.  There is never any let up with the symptoms .  hope you get better.   Laaz
TMJ ? this may help you if you put both pinky fingers in your ears and open and close your jaw if you feel a clicking or popping  you may have TMJ , what did your DDS say? Did you try a chiropractor?
i swear by Chiro and i have TMJ when i was 16 yrs my wisdom teeth were impacted and it was a nightmare  and i ended up with dry sockets which was excruciationg and  TMJ but since going to the chiro i seldom have an attack ,   try pure saline nose spray for moisture of your membranes  this should help

Thanks for the feedback. TMJ is not the culprit.  The burning sensation so far is only under the skin  in areas of maxillary sinuses (cheek bone area).  I will continue to seek out medical help and research this on my own as well.
Did you ever find out what that burning sensation was in your cheekbones by your maxillary sinus cavity???  I posted you June 2008.  I would be very interested in finding out what you have - as I have the same but it is for 6 yrs. now.  I was diagnosed with vasomotor rhinitis, chronic rhinitis and chronic post nasal drainage.     Laaz
I have the same issue with the burning under the skin on my cheek but so far only on the left hand side of my face. It is extremely irritable when touched and the burning sensation is so uncomfortable. I have taken antibiotics prescribed by my doctor which did no good. They then refered me to a specialist who has no idea what it is and he wants to refer me to a collegue of his for a second opinion before running a biopsy on the tissue. IIf any one else has any idea please let me know...I hate the burning :o(

Vikki

Any luck finding out your diagnosis? My cheeks starting burning just this week and won't let up. Its the worst experience ever!
I have been suffering from the same burning sensation as you mentioned...on the cheek and by the eye.  It feels like my cheek should be fire-truck red.  My doctor is not sure what it is but is taking a preventative measure against shingles by treating me with Valtrex.  If you have heard of any other possibilities, please let me know.

THANKS!
LEEZ
I recommend this informative and helpful article: http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/62/84.cfm
I have been having a burning sensations of the skin around my eyes and my cheek bones for some time now, and tonight the burning sensation started on the upper left side of my head. I am told this is some kind of nerve damage due to my spinal injury. I was in a car accident about a year ago and I did have spinal damage. I just started getting feeling back into parts of my face after the neck surgery, So I am hoping this is one more stage of the healing possess. I have also been told only time will tell how bad the damage will be.
So if you have hurt your back or neck in some way this could explain the burning.
I have had burning on my forehead, cheeks for over a month now and it is so painful!  I have to see a neurologist b/c I alslo have burning on both arms and one leg.  Did anyone ever find out what caused their burning?
Hi.  Did you ever find out what the burning was?  I have had it on and off (mostly on) for 2 months now.  I also have a throbbing in my nose.  Sometime it feels like my face is burning from the inside out and there is a constant headache.  It is every day.  I started allergy shots, have been on antibiotics (many kinds), do nasal rinses, use astepro, nasonex, xyzal, singulair and just stopped mucinex-d because it was making me very emotional (either numb, or angry or crying).  This has affect every aspect of my life.  I had cat scan, blood test, etc.  The cat scan shows fluid in the maxillary sinuses and some ethnoid sinusitus.  My ENT now suggested he "snip" my left turbinate.  I am so confused and defeated.  Can anyone help?
I have the same feeling for over a year now..going from this doctor to another and never went away..from sinusis to ANYTHING ELSE I HAVE TRIED..COULD YOU PLZ LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPEND TO U EVENTUALLY.
ANYBODY ELSE COULD HELP?
Curious if anyone has found what could be causing this?  I've had this going on for several months.  I can tell that it's sinus and nerve related.  My CT shows no infection, however it can't show irritation
I have had this problem for seven yrs. Had gallbladder problem, HAd gallbladder taken out a few mths ago. I had thought it was the reson why i was having this burning, but no.. What it is is from the nerves,, I have yet to have it go away, I have been taken bulspar. an anxiety medicine, ANd I have also went to health food store for natural remedies. I dont know if it will ever go away, But it is caused by the nerves. Try anxiety medicine, bulspar is good.  Do you have problem with puffiness under eye are. around the whole eye ara. I do, I think it is food allergy
The burning sensations is nerve related. I am taking bulspar. Hopefully I will get better. Don't know if it will ever go away. If you find out any thing else let me know
nerve problem, I was wondering if you also have a problem with dry eyes. It is like the burning is in my eyes also
Hi laaz. I have all them syptoms (symptoms) you describe. What does the doctor have u on. Anything? Is there any cure? I have dry eyes, burning under whole face, around eyes,, My whole eye area gets swollen, Cheeks get swollen, Burning under cheeks.. what have you done for this?
Hi viiki,
I have the same thing as you...have had it now for about 5 months on and off...been diagnosed finally with viral sinus infection caused by the herpes zoster virus...shingles....and settling in the trigeminal and cranial nerves...it comes and goes...I am currently on a b12 vitamin after going through three rounds of antibiotics....one in sept one in December and just finished one now but have swollen cheeks.....diagnosed just before Xmas also from another net with maxillary sinus infection....
I have had  burning cheeks for about a year.  This is the first stage.  The second stage included swollen lips.  The third stage total face burning, swollen lips, cheeks, and eyes.  This was extremely painful and took about three days to go back to normal.  

I was thinking that the culprit were mold spores in the air.  Since this problem started at work and then subsided over weekends.  But if I am right, and mold spores infest the mucous membranes of the face (eyes, nose, mouth),  it is very hard to get rid of .

I have given up wheat, sugar, all cheese, and alcohol.  All condiments and vinegar are off my list.  These foods seem to feed mold (candida?) in my body.

Chinese medicine says that if the liver or the kidneys are over loaded with toxins, the face will swell.  I am thinking that my body is fighting the spores and trying to get rid of them through liver and kidneys, thus causing the swelling and extreme pain.

I am going to an ear, nose, and throat doctor to have the doctor perform a culture.

I wish you good luck.  It looks like our bodies are telling us to cleanse more and be aware of the food we put into our bodies. It is a very hard journey since our culture revolves around food.
pinch your nostrils closed with your fingers and if the pain stops it is rhinitis. It's the air moving across your sinuses that triggers the neuropathy in your facial nerves such as the cheek. Most Dr.s don't bother to use this tool which is straight forward and accurate. My dr.s hypothosized everything from shingles to ms to anemia.....nope, just vr! Saline irrigation helps immensely. Just make sure your source is totally clean, if you were to use a nettie pot for example...make sure your water source is free of chlorine and any other irritants. Shea butter swiped into the nostrils with a q-tip or a prescribed steroid spray are also effective. Good luck....there is a way to control these symptoms, don't get discouraged. Although....easier said, I know.
Wow, I think you may be right Thank you
WHAT Was the actually cause or diagnosis?  And Why are you on B12?
This is really scary for me I'm a  Single MOM and this summer I had a huge bought of fatigue like I never felt before  my legs were weak to walk I also has a burning hot sensation under the skin on my face cheeks and forehead mostly  I was terrified I knew I was b12 deficient but never treated or told how serious this is. Did you have anything similar?
Suggest you ALL google Neuralgia in particular ATYPICAL :-)
Ive had 2 sinus surgeries to no help for this burning. I finally was referred to Dr for migraines and I am taking topamax and imitrex these did help with the burning in my cheeks. Hope that may help. I have started taking coconut oil recently too as I've read a fungal/yeast infection in your sinuses can cause that burning too. Over use of antibiotics and steroids cause yeast infections and I was on them forever thinking the burning was a sinus infection. I figured I'll try the coconut oil it sounds safe and see what happens.
The same thing is now happening to me and only on the left side. Did you get any answers?