Ear, Nose & Throat Community
What to do for a broken nose?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

What to do for a broken nose?

Thanksgiving morning my 19 month old daughter slammed the back of her head into my face and broke my nose. Not a pleasant experience, I can tell you.

We weren't sure if my glasses had cut my eye (since there was blood EVERYWHERE) so my parents took me to the ER. Luckily my eye was fine, but the ER doctor said I need to follow up with an ENT about my nose.  I looked at the X-rays and could see a 3 to 4mm space between the broken piece and my skull.  

What can I expect from my ENT visit? Will he manipulate the broken piece back into place or will it stay where it is? If they do put pieces back into place do they usually  use a pain killer? What are my chances of having a deformity like a lump? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I don't know, but my husband had a broken nose (an irate passenger on the bus he drives punched him), and nothing needed to be done at all. I guess it depends on if the bone is displaced or not.

The really weird thing is that the next day, my husband, who hadn't gone to the doctor yet because he didn't know it was broken, found a small piece of bone coming out the skin on the bridge of his nose! The ENT, and another one that this doctor consulted, were both flabbergasted because they'd never seen this before. The x-ray showed his nose was broken but not displaced. They even sent the fragment to a lab, which confirmed it was bone!

He has no lump and the break healed quickly--just soreness for a couple of weeks.

Hope it all turns out OK for you. Careful how you hold that baby!!
My son broke his nose as a 7 year old, he is noqw 13...he had a hole in his face...for a few moments I could see into his face...directly through his nose...I almost lost it...

Fast foward...the swelling pulled the broken piece back up and he didnt need anything else done...we did go to the hospital er and had him examined and xrayed and his xray was like your describing.

He did bruise horribley and looked like a raccoon for at least a month...as he was done healing his face and neck turned green as the bruising faded. It has been broken twice since then...once from his sisters elbow and once during football...the original break with actually cut the skin and bone was from him falling on wooden porch steps...

Good luck to you!
Forgot to say where the break was...it was directly across the bridge of his nose...and he does not have a bump or anything, but if he squunches up his nose, you can see the scar where the skin healed back together...

Thanks for replies. I am glad to hear everyone healed up so well! I hope I do too.
My Nose broke when i was 13 in a football match. I went to see a doctor and he said that the cartilage is bent and that once My facial bones have fully grown, then they can perform an operation. Does anyone know whether this is minor or major. I am now 16 and my nose is seriously ruining my social life. Once i have the op will my nose be back to perfect ?
my son is 7yrs old and he plays football, although he didnt brake his nose playing football but falling on the playground at school...he wants to go back to playing football as soon as possible....He acts like nothing is even wrong and its only been 3days since the injury,what is a mom to do?....
I am with you everystep of the way. My 2 year old just did this to me the other night at 4 AM. It has been three days today. I did not get black eyes, but I have a lot of sinus pressure, cheek bones, forehead, around eyes, nose is a little swelled. but not brusied yet. I have a faint "sinus" headache still. If my headache doesn"t go away by tomorrow I may go see a doc.I dont have any clear discharge from my nose, but everything feels like sinus issues. It hurts when I forget and touch oir rub my nose. I could almost cry.