Ear, Nose & Throat Community
White spots on my throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

White spots on my throat

3 Days ago I noticed white spots on throat around my tonsils at first my throat would just hhurt not the pain has somewhat gone away but the spots are still there, it sometimes hurt when I swollow but nothing serious. I was also just told that I have herpes could be because of the herpes or what I am not sure what to do
Please go in for a throat swab. It sounds like thrush...if not treated it could turn into meningitis.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

White patches are common in many throat  infections. You could have sore throat and tonsillitis which may have contributed to it. In response to the infection the body produces soft white debris which collects in the tiny indentations in the tonsils called crypts. Repeated salt water gargles will help. Mix one teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water and gargle. . I would advise you to consult your doctor, for proper evaluation of your symptoms. In the meantime for pain relief you can use OTC  tylenol (acetaminophen).

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your advice