Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Why does it feel like there is a hole in my throat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I don't really know how to put this but I'll do my best. For the past 5 or 6 months, I CONSTANTLY will have to hock up whatever it is in my throat. I do not have allergies, or bad sinus problems so it eliminates that. But I always feel like there is a lugi in the back of my throat and I always have to hock it up. I do not choke easy, and I still can eat all types of food so solid food or whatever doesn't bother me..but no matter what time of day it is I constantly feel that feeling in my throat. It seriously feels like there is a hole back there and spit just sits there, until I hock it up. It drives me crazy and I hope someone can help!! I will probably have to end up going to my family doctor and getting referred to an ENT doctor.

I have the same feeling in my throat.  It feels as if I need to clear my throat or swallow extremely hard, like there is mucus stuck there.  Some times it makes it dificult to breath. I went to an urgent care center, the ER Dr. didn't see anything in my throat so he referred me to an ENT doctor.  My appt isn't until next week.  Have you found out what is causing your discomfort?
I was going to go to the doctor but have been putting it off. I am not in any pain but it is just so annoying! I am a smoker...so until I quit smoking I wont go to the doctor..because I know that is what he will tell me. Do you smoke? I am 22 years old..and been smoking since I was about 18. I haven't had this feeling in my throat that whole time..just about 6 months ago started feeling it. Will you let me know what the ENT says? Thanks.
omg I have the same feeling and it's mostly painful. like a dull feeling. I feel like there is a hole in the back of my throat and I have to constantly hog up phelgm. Sometimes it comes out easily other times its hard to get out. I eat any type of foods except spicy foods and its so  annoying sometimes that my back begans to ache. I don't know but when I spread my toes wide open it almost feels line the hole or what ever is in my throat is spread open. My doctor told me the annoying feeling was the post nasal dripage inside my throat. I think I might end up seeing a GI though.
I'm having the same thing happen to me. My ENT doctor can't seem to find anything. What is GI you mention in your post?
OMG!! I have the same problem..glad I'm not alone..it started back in 08' ..a burning sensation in the middle of my throat..and me coughing up phlegm ..I went to a doctor and they automatically diagnosed me with acid reflux ..Now its 2011 AND IM STILL HAVING PROBLEMS BUT WORSE!! Phlegm, Throat pains, Sore Throat, and it feels like its a hole in my throat! MY FOOD FEELS LIKE ITS GOIN TO MY SIDE!!!
Got the same problem. I was diagnosed with acid reflux in '07 but I must have had it since 2000 and symptoms just got worse. I've been on and off medication as I have been stubborn. If I get better, I stop taking my meds and go back to eating like crazy (a bit of spicy food here, rich and creamy food there... Vodka on the weekend, tequila the next.) 3 months ago, I suffered from really painful burning sensation in my throat after a party and my theory is that I've had a lot of greasy food. And worse, now I have a new symptom. My voice changes whenever I've had spicy or greasy food. I sound like I'm very sick with a cough/cold. Not nasal-y kind of voice but deep and husky like a man. This is accompanied with sore throat and the same hole-in-the-throat sensation. Like there's mint when you're inhaling. I haven't seen my doc yet but I worry about losing my voice completely.