Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Why is Afrin the only thing that works?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Why is Afrin the only thing that works?

I've tried all sorts of anti-histamines and steroids (both nasal and oral) as well as saline rinses. None of these help at all. When I use Afrin, I get dramatic relief that lasts for hours.

Does this mean that my problem is more physical than allergic? (I do have several allergies.) Could it be that I just have unusually large turbinates, which Afrin is able to shrink while anti-histamines and steroids can't? Is surgery to reduce turbinate size the likely solution?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, if it is nasal dryness, then afrin nasal solution may provide relief. It also helps clear nasal congestion. Antihistamines may further dry up the secretions. And steroids provide relief from inflammatory changes. If afrin is giving good relief, you can continue with the same and it is unlikely to have any side effects. Regards.