Ear, Nose & Throat Community
bad smell and taste

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

bad smell and taste

I have this bad smell in my nose, that has been bothering me now for 3 days. Its really bugging me. I only smell it when i breath through my nose- usually only one nostril at a time. Kind of hard to describe, but just fowl smelling. Also have a bitter taste in my mouth like gone off limes or lemons. The combination of these two drives me nuts. Also mouth is not only bitter tasting but i keep drinking lots of water to try and wash it away but sometimes makes it worse. was in hospital few months ago for a saliva gland infection..just wondering is there any chance im getting another infection? many thanks
yeah i hear you there.  I am having the same problem.  Its almost like a chemical/mineral, sour, possibly vinegar smelling in a way, right?  I smell it more at night before i go to bed.  Throughout the day its not to bad.  Just recently though I have not been smelling it.  I am not sure if I am getting used to it or what.  Makes me wonder though cause i have never smelled anything like that before.  It is coming from inside my nose.  Maybe its a gland problem.  I am thinking about getting it checked out soon though, if I comes back, because believe me...its annoying.  By the way..do you wake up in the morning with a headache or stuffy head/nose?
I have a similar problem. I have had every test in the world. I have this smell in my nose and it is worse at night when I lay down and when I get upset, or maybe I get upset because of the smell. I have been to ent's and I believe they think I am crazy.
I wake up stuffy in the morning everyday.
check for "tonsil stones"
I have the same problem and I have also noticed that i do also have tonsil stones- you think that it is why i have a bitter smell in my nose?
I have similiar symptoms. For some reason if I sneeze hard the smell and tastecomes and it doesn't go away till I go to sleep and wake up in the morning. Sometimes all it take is about 1  hour of sleep to make it go away. I also get stuffy at night and in the morning. It's the same fowl odor and taste. It like everyone's description or sometimes it smells like tilex in a shower.  I can't drink coffee at all when this happens as it taste like chemicals. I've been to 2 ENT's and all they want to do is give you allergy shots and can't diagnose the problem. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that had this sensation. What are tonsil stones? I still have my tonsils but never checked into it. Today I was swimming and breathed too hard out of ny nose and there went the taste and smell again, now two days in a row. Someone had mentioned stress and yes I think stress also brings this on. If anyone has any suggestions I am at my wits end here. This is aweful!!! and I sympathize with anyone who has it as well. Hopefully someone will figure out this dilema.
I have found something that works for me when I get the metallic taste and smell. Typically it doesn't go away until I sleep until now. What works for me immediately is called the Neti Pot. It is a sinus rinse that is available at any drug store. It resembles a tea pot and you mix the solution with water and flush out your nose. It has been a life saver for me and I hope it works for anyone with this problem. As soon as I get the taste and smell I use the neti pot and it goes away immediately. I still get the taste and smell once in awhile when I sneeze or breath out of my nose too hard or even laugh hard but now relief is available. I can't begin to say what this has done for me. I hope this works for anyone with this problem as well as it has for me. Nothing else has worked and the doctors can't figure it out. Good luck and if you have this problem and this works for you please spread the word.  I've searched for years for a solution.

As you can tell, you have found a remedy for the problem.  However, the Neti Pot is only a half measure.  It is effective for the lower sinuses (maxillary and ethmoid) but that nasty smell (from anaerobic bacteria) usually lives in the upper sinuses (frontal and sphenoid).  You washed some of it out when you went swimming.

The Flip Turn flush uses gravity, instead of fighting it, which is why the neti pot is only partially effective.  The FlipTurn is just a re-creation of what happened when you went swimming.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322
The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground. A regular sinus saline irrigation won't work, because of gravity.

If it works for you, continue to flush for 3 days after the smell goes away, or it can grow back, which it did 2 times to me before I figured it out.  .
I have had the same bad smell\taste in the mouth for over 6 months now.  Couldn't figure out what the hell the problem was.  Mine became so awful that the smell would literally funk up my entire office at work.  Well, after having tonsils\adenoids (adenoids) removed, upper gi, lower colon splenoid or something done, and all kinds of other medical test ran.  The culprit turned out to be a crown on the lower left molar tooth.  The tooth up under the crown had split in half, and the damn thing became infected or something.  When the smell first started, the first place I went was to the dentist (of course they didn't see anything wrong).  I ended up on a wild goose chase that cost me thousands of dollars.  Finally after reading another site and listening to the guy on there story, I went back to the dentist and lied that the tooth was bothering me.  That's when the dentist decided to take the crown off (he couldn't tell anything from the X-ray; the crown was n the way of seeing my actual tooth).  He ended up having to pull the split tooth.  He told me to come back for a bridge of something once it has healed but "No Thanks!" I'll leave the spot empty because empty doesn't become infected and stink up a whole room......
I really have had much worse problem, for the last 6 years, I have been experiencing every stinky smell coming out of my mouth and nose. I used hydroxide, nisal, rinses spent over $10,000, but nothing changes. Lost friends, think about sucide, heard ppl say, "smells like da rotten mice, i found in our backyard I was in elemantry", but nothing works.   I had bycle $ car accidents where I hit my forehad on the ground, or hard objectives. However, dentists, phsicians, phsychologist say they can find exact cause of this. Now i stopped going to school and say home, last i went outside, about six months ago, Is there any help or adive i can get from ENT experts? Should I take out gums I always suspect causing the problem but X-ray can not identify it? Should cut of my nose or head off? SHould I spent my whole life staying home and ir who is gong to support me? its painful, but dont know what do now? I also saw doctors laugh at me when tell them my problem: finally, I can do when thing! put my finger on my left throat and clean but sustians for four hours, which is not enough for talented human being.
Hope M.Expert or someone find solution for this type of problem would help me
thank you
I am really sorry, the previous question i posted seems unremarkable.

The question is what could i do to solve the stinky smell coming out of my mouth and nose? I am reluctant to spend another thousands of dollars by going to dental or phscians, because I lost the confidence of trusting these people since they either dont spend time listening to my cousins, laugh at me, and/or say "we can't really find the cause at this time and would recommand you to make "ANOTHER" appointment if you dont get better after few months"

SHould take out the gumjs suspect causing the problem and ly them saying "it hurts me" ?

Haybe

If you haven't put you head facing down, with saline, then you haven't tried everything, as saline will not get to the upper sinuses any other way.  That said, there is also another problem, and I read it somewhere else on medhelp, by a doctor, who said that sometimes the mucus membranes just deteriorate, although he didn't offer a cure.

There may be some hope seeing a practictioner of functional medicine, read Dr. Mark Hyman's The Ultramind Solution or go to the ultramind website to see what he is talking about.  Never give up, never never.
I wake up in the mornings with blood in my mouth.  I am also experiencing a metallic smell in my nose that comes and goes.  Any ideas what causes this??
i have never had this kind of problem in my life.. but recently and all of the sudden i experienced a smell in my right nostril that can only  be described as septic. after  doing some holistic research.. i had decided to address the problem as a yeast type infection because of its character. yeast infections can effect the whole of your body.. but are usually only of notice in a couple places. hopefully i dont have to expand on that fact.. lol.. anyway, that being said, my research provided me with info that proved to be a cure for females with yeast infections and so i applied the same remedy to the nasal passages of my nose. it worked! so what you may ask was the remedy?  it was garlic. often pharmaceutical companies would discourage any products that did not feed the till.. but FYI..  administering garlic oil from minced garlic or in raw form with a cue tip into the nostril cavity seemed to kill the odor causing smell in a couple days completely. i know that some may question.. what would be worse the garlic smell or the odor.. however, you can stop the treatments when you notice your problem  has subsided.. try this out and see if it works for you .. i am also of the opinion that it could not hurt to supplement your diet with additional garlic oil  vitamins to fully attack this problem.. i hope this is of help to you all ....
This is exactly me. Once I sneeze or cough, or even laugh loud. It's like a sinus opens up or something and I have that exact smell you describe until I go to sleep. It's gone when I wake up. It totally stinks and ruins eating or drinking anything for the rest of the day! I've never had it checked out and it's been going on off and on for about a year.
When I came upon this community of postings, I almost cried. I have been experiencing the VERY same symptoms for years, but it's gotten significantly worse in the past 2 years. Literally, I thought I was the only one dealing with this. Oftentimes, the taste/smell disorder will worsen or be spurred on by weather changes, altitude change (flying), strong odors/perfumes, smoke, burnt food, laughing, sneezing, on and on.

It's pretty much destroying my quality of life. I also happened upon the Netti Pot last year, and instantly the taste/smell went away. However, I've found that it's only temporary, and many times will come back a few hours later. I literally use the Netti Pot - in every form and device - 3-4 times a day on average. I'm so TIRED and DISCOURAGED, and would love to be cured from this problem. I'm so afraid I'm going to deal with it for the rest of my life.

I will try anything at this point. In the meantime, I guess I'll keep flushing it out with the Netti Pot.

i know the feeling
Sounds like sinuitis. From allergies. Sometimes i will blow my nose and there will be blood. During allergy season i will blow my nose and there is always something in there, as if i have a cold. I am stuffy too. Anytime there is blood there will be a smell. I try to not blow my nose and just carefully use q tips. Blowing can cause more stuffiness. I was coughing up some blood as well, but it was all do to sinuses. I too cannot stand perfume smoke flowers strong detergent smells.. I use an antihistamine and aerosol with saline salt water. Its all good! It helps!!
I have noticed a slight vinegar smell in my left nostril and found this discussion.  

To me, it smells like toe odor, which is odd being in my nose, but I went looking and found the following, which mentions yeast, as you had also mentioned:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst2856_Is-this-smell-normal.aspx

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8376/10-signs-you-have-candida-overgrowth-what-to-do-about-it.html

I'v been toying with the low-carb / slow-carb diet and maybe this is the answer for others in this discussion as well.