Ear, Nose & Throat Community
bad smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

bad smell

hello everyone, i am at my wits end, i have been having this bad smell coming from the back of my throat or nose for the past 3 years, i can only describe it as a farty smell, it isnt constant it happens a couple of times a day and is so bad people from a couple of feet away can smell it. When i eat or drink it seems to aggrivate it, i do have a lot of stuff dripping down the back of my throat and am constantly swallowing or coughing it up, its clear. I have had an endoscopy on my stomach and a scan and camera looking at my sinuses all have come back negative. This is ruining my life and making me anti social. Please please please can anyone help me as my doctor has just about givin up! Thank you!
Your problem is not unusual, but there doesn't seem to be one cause of the problem.  Usually, if only you can smell it, it's an anaerobic sinus infection, and you can get rid of it with a Flip-Turn Sinus Flush.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322/The-Sinus-Flush

If other people smell it, as seems to be your case, go to Section 17, Revolting Sinus Odor, it will list some of the possible causes other than sinus infection.  I am favoring the yeast infection possibilility lately, but the jury's still out.
Thanks very much friggy for your response, i have been trying the sinus flush for bout 5 days with no joy as of yet. Spicy foods and alcohol aggrivate it lots, but it comes when i dont drink and eat healthly. I think its coming from my throat or maybe lower down.
You are probably right about the stomach.  Some people have had luck with Gaviscon liquid, as it doesn't dry out your throat, and you may also want to check out the possibility of tonsil stones (tonsilloliths) as those can also produce a nasty odor.
Yestaday my stomach popped and the smell was present so its most definetly my stomach but i have had an endoscopy on my stomach and they said its fine so i dont know what 2 do from here. I have changed my diet eating jus fruit and vegetables and drink plenty of water but the smell still comes, nightmare. I have tried the gaviscon liquid with no joy. Thanks 4 getting back to me friggy!