Ear, Nose & Throat Community
bad smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

bad smell

hello everyone, i am at my wits end, i have been having this bad smell coming from the back of my throat or nose for the past 3 years, i can only describe it as a farty smell, it isnt constant it happens a couple of times a day and is so bad people from a couple of feet away can smell it. When i eat or drink it seems to aggrivate it, i do have a lot of stuff dripping down the back of my throat and am constantly swallowing or coughing it up, its clear. I have had an endoscopy on my stomach and a scan and camera looking at my sinuses all have come back negative. This is ruining my life and making me anti social. Please please please can anyone help me as my doctor has just about givin up! Thank you!
Your problem is not unusual, but there doesn't seem to be one cause of the problem.  Usually, if only you can smell it, it's an anaerobic sinus infection, and you can get rid of it with a Flip-Turn Sinus Flush.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322/The-Sinus-Flush

If other people smell it, as seems to be your case, go to Section 17, Revolting Sinus Odor, it will list some of the possible causes other than sinus infection.  I am favoring the yeast infection possibilility lately, but the jury's still out.
Thanks very much friggy for your response, i have been trying the sinus flush for bout 5 days with no joy as of yet. Spicy foods and alcohol aggrivate it lots, but it comes when i dont drink and eat healthly. I think its coming from my throat or maybe lower down.
You are probably right about the stomach.  Some people have had luck with Gaviscon liquid, as it doesn't dry out your throat, and you may also want to check out the possibility of tonsil stones (tonsilloliths) as those can also produce a nasty odor.
Yestaday my stomach popped and the smell was present so its most definetly my stomach but i have had an endoscopy on my stomach and they said its fine so i dont know what 2 do from here. I have changed my diet eating jus fruit and vegetables and drink plenty of water but the smell still comes, nightmare. I have tried the gaviscon liquid with no joy. Thanks 4 getting back to me friggy!
How I got Rid of Bad Smells from My Sinuses

The sinuses’ and lymphatic system in the body remove toxic buildup and waste from your body.

I think of it like a hose that runs from you nose and throat, forehead, ears, neck, underarms, etc. A sinus blockage is like a kink in this hose. The buildup of toxic waste and debris can accumulate in a certain area and become inflamed or infected with fungus, like Candida, or bacteria.  

This blockage is what causes the smell.  Think of it like a tooth abscess or sebaceous cyst, but, this problem can be around the eyes, ears or throat/neck. This can interfere with your energy levels, your brain function, and in general, the way your body “feels.”

It is an infection and I found that dealing with it in a way similar to a tooth abscess is what worked, for me.

My treatment on myself:

Begin by sleeping with a hot water (quite warm, don’t burn yourself, keep a cloth between you and the bottle) bottle on the entire affected area…this begins to soften the infection or cyst/pocket of built up waste).  

Keep this up off and on for two weeks until you feel an almost feverish sensation in your sinuses.  It feels like the gas or smoke from a fire around your face. This is the softening or loosing of the infection and the beginning of it opening so that the body can flush it away.  

When this point is reached, stop sleeping on the hot water bottle and begin hot and cold compresses.  This begins to draw out the infection/pocket of waste so that your body’s immune system can begin to deal with it.  

During this period you will experience the most noxious odors imaginable.  Candida fungus seem to produce an acrid smoky odor while bacteria seem to produce a toxic cheesy smell.    

If you have not already begun, at this point you need to build your immune system to fight and remove them without needing to use antibiotics.  This includes drinking good water to which has been added some fresh lemon juice and juicing fresh vegetables.

I began dosing with: Echinacea, Vitamin C and E with selenium, Garlic, Olive Leaf, Vitamin A and Beta Carotene, Vitamin D, and a good complete Multi Vit/Mineral. Echinacea tea is also helpful. Until the smell goes away, OLBAS makes an over-the-counter inhaler (this is not a medical type inhaler. This it is a simple peppermint vapor that is very welcome as it counters the problem smell)    

I stopped sugar intake, and junky refined foods and began stretches once the crisis was over (this condition can be exhausting and cause a lack of balance, so don’t do the walking until you are safely able to do so).
I felt a need for pineapple (bromelain) and salsa (cayenne) – who knew, they are beneficial to your sinuses.

This can be related to a lower immune system and that can come from many different causes, including stress, and should be taken as a warning that something is “off” with you body and that needs to be addressed, long-term, for your future health.

I found that prayer and asking Jesus for healing and listening to the audio Bible was a great comfort during time of stress.

After three days, this protocol helped the pockets of infection to release, stop producing the horrific smells and are now gone.  I intend to continue this program, including compresses and adding in daily walking, until I am sure there is no recurrence and the infection gone. The immune supplements should be continued a month.

I always try to listen to my body and respond to what it is trying to tell me.

“Surely we are marvelously and wonderfully made” – King David the Psalmist