Ear, Nose & Throat Community
blood draining from ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

blood draining from ear

why is ther blood draining from my 5yr. old sons ear at night when he sleeps
You should get it checked out.  It could be many things but what comes to mind is that my son once shoved a light bright peg up his nose.  He had frequent nosebleeds and I didn't know what was causing them.  One day the light bright peg came out.  So ask him if he put anything in his ear.  Is he having trouble hearing?  Best to get him to a doctor to see what is going on.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If he had ear ache, which has been relieved with the bleeding, then most probably it an otitis interna (inner ear infection) and it has ruptured the tympanic membrane. This is all the more significant if there has been discharge. The other common causes for pain are cerumen (ear wax) impaction, otitis  externa and infections. You will need to consult your primary care physician for further evaluation, who may then refer him to an ENT specialist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.