Ear, Nose & Throat Community
burning throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

burning throat

In 2004, I got went to the spa to work out.  When I got home, I felt like my body shut down.  I could not breathe, felt like I had to belch but couldnt.  I felt dizzy with a burning throat.  I was taken to emergency - later was sent home with no answer.  I was asked to see my family doctor within 24 hours.  Went to the doctor, was given nexium for acid reflux.  During this time, I noticed my period came to a halt.  Did not have a period for 12 months.  Was also told that it was menopause.  I lost 40 pounds during this time.  About 2 weeks later, I was sent for a endoscopy which came back with brown mucus in my chest that was sent to a pathologist that was benign.  Later I was sent to an ENT that indicated I had a sore/blister on my soft palate.  Now, I have started to cough mucus after I eat or drink.  Lots of mucus.  It is so bad that I have to ride around with a spit cup.  I do not drink any caffaine - but still do drink soft drink with no caffaine.  I am not on the Nexium now, but am on Pepsid - over the counter.  Nothing has helped me and I still have a burning throat.  During 2004 when I got sick, I have poor sleeping habits.  My doctor put me on Abien.  I have to tell you when I take Abien, the next day, my throat hardly burn.  I have to go to a ENT every three months for them to clean my left ear out.  It keeps getting clogged with hard wax and over the counter medicine does not help.  Can someone please help me or have any suggestions.  The doctors here are just absolutely stunned.  The only one thing that will relieve my throat burning is a throat logenzer (honey and lemon) with menthol eucalyptus.  Can I please get an answer.  Thanks
I have GERD and have the burning throat symptoms.  I was also recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  Whether or not I have CD & GERD or GERD as a result of CD, I don't yet know.  Before I was diagnosed, some of my symptoms were iron-deficiency anemia, heart palpitations with a feeling of sudden drop in blood pressure, near passing out, lightheadedness and instant fatigue during these episodes.  I figured out (on my own) that the heart issues were related to GERD.  Now, I have to be on a special diet for CD.  To top it off, I have to watch out for foods that would agitate my GERD.  Needless to say, I am on an extremely bland diet, and most anything can cause my throat pain to raise its ugly head.  I did have an endoscopy, and my throat/esophagus looked fine, but I take Carafate to coat the lining of my stomach and esophagus to protect it.  I also take Protonix to help with acid reduction until my intestines can heal.  Hopefully, one day, I won't feel this awful anymore.  But I can relate to your problems, and I would recommend being tested for CD.  This would require a blood test.  But even if the test comes back negative, it does not mean you do not have it.  Only a biopsy of the small intestine can confirm if you do.  As for GERD, the most simple way to ward it off is staying away from all the foods and drinks that agitate it.  

Sorry I can't help more.