Ear, Nose & Throat Community
can a sinus infection cause hearing loss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

My husband refuses to let me take him to be seen, but seems to have lost a lot of his hearing. He has to turn the volume up on everything to the point I can't stand to sit in the room, and also can't hear unless you are right next to him. For background purpose: He is 28, and in good health normally. Our three children all tested positive for the H1N1 Influenza A virus the past month, he was sick with a fever for 2 days and bedridden with what he says is a major sinus infection and bronchitis. His nose is no longer stuffy, but he cannot hear hardly at all. Tonight he is achy and fell asleep really early again. YES I know the best solution is to take him to the doctor but he simply WILL NOT go. So out of desperation I am asking if anyone has any ideas here?
Severe upper respiratory infections can involve the middle ears via inflammation of the Eustachian tubes.  This can result in fluid collecting in the middle ears (serous otitis media) and, in some cases, significant hearing loss.  In these cases, the condition is temporary and the hearing will return once the fluid/inflammation resolves.

This is a likely scenario in your husband's case, but it's only an educated guess.

Good luck!
Thank you, are there any OTC ear drops that may help?
Unfortunately, there is no medicine that has been shown to resolve Eustachian tube inflammation.  These typically will resolve on their own.
my loss is only in my left ear. It has been 3 weeks now how long does it take for this to clear up. I can't hear when people talk to me but  i can hear them over the phone, any suggestions
I have what I believe to be a sinus infection. Symptoms: headache, sore throat, cough, congestion in my nose, head, and ears. After maybe a week of this infection, I decided to get some meds to make me feel better and cure me. The next night I started experiencing some extreme ear pain in only one of my ears. Still coughing, I started experiencing a ringing and some hearing loss in that ear every time I coughed. I tried ear drops, but it only seemed to get worse. I eventually fell asleep. The next day, the pain, ringing and slight hearing loss was in the opposite ear. Again, assuming they would work, I tried ear drops. FAIL! The next couple of days after that, it started to be both of my ears, sometimes simultaneously and sometimes at the same time. Today, I have lost all hearing in the first ear that started hurting. I havent heard anything out of it all day!
About 5-6 years ago, I had repeated sinus infections with pain in both ears. My doc prefers to let things resolve themself. So no antibiotics were given. After a few months I noticed I had a great loss of hearing in my left ear. I just live it. I know it's getting worse. I turn up the volume on TV and have to have people speak louder. There is no "visible" problem. What can I do?