Ear, Nose & Throat Community
can sinuses/post nasal drip drain into the chest or stomach?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Can the mucus in the sinuses or post nasal drip clog or fall into the lungs or stomach?
Also, is it possible if your chest is congested with mucus that , when you sleep or are horizontal, that it can work its way up your body and clog your sinuses?

I wake up every morning with clogged sinuses.

thanks
Post nasal drip can definitely go into the lungs and stomach. One of the reasons you cough sometimes can be from nasal secretions going down the back of the throat into the lungs.

I have also had chronic sinusitis cause reflux on several occasions where my ENT has had to prescribe medications because I've ended up with laryngitis and a sore throat from the irritation. It most definitely can happen.

However, I've never heard of it working in reverse...coming up from the lungs into your sinuses. If it seems to be just a morning issue, maybe try sleeping at an incline? Do you eat right before you go to bed?

Best of luck!
Ashley