choking while sleeping
For the past 6 months or maybe longer I have been experiencing a choking sensation that will wake me up several times during the night.  I have had sleep apnea but have had the operation that supposedly corrected it.  I am a smoker.  When I do wake up from the choking, I usually have some phlegm in my throat. The phlegm sometimes has color and sometimes is clear but it is always sticky. I have gone to the doctor.  I am currently taking Nexium.  I have been taking this for the past two months but I still experience the choking.  I did have some dental work lately that required the removal of some very infected teeth.  I have experienced some better nights of sleep since the removal of the teeth but not enough to not complain that I am not sleeping through the night.  What do you think?  or What do you suggest I do or pursue?
Did you use an expectorant at all to break up the phlegm? Also drink lots of water.

I wuld also sleep with your head inclined to reduce the choking. Some poeple just have thicker saliva, unfortunately I'm one of them too.