Ear, Nose & Throat Community
chronic post nasal drip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

chronic post nasal drip

I have had post nasal drip for the last 6 years.  It is constant.  It is thick and causes me to cough up mucus constantly.  I have seen many doctors and specialists who have put me on acid reflux medicines, antibiotics, etc... nothing has worked!  I am lost as to what this could be from and where to go next to try and get some relief, as nothing so far has worked.  I am currently trying spariva, but this has not helped either. Has anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!  Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What diagnostic tests were done and what other symptoms are present? I'm sorry to hear what you have been through for the last 6 years. The excess mucus production in postnasal drip may be attributed to a variety of issues such as allergies, sinus infection, medication side effect ( birth control pills and blood pressure medications), deviated septum or other anatomical problem that affects the sinuses, changing weather, excess dryness in the air, certain foods,environmental irritants, and gastrointestinal issues such as GERD.  Management will depend on the underlying cause. If the cause is not yet clear, further evaluation may need to be done. The newer generation of antihistamines medications may help. Drinking more water,  using saline nasal sprays or nasal irrigation and identifying and avoiding possible triggers may help. If it persists, it is best that you check with your doctor or be referred to a specialist also. Take care and do keep us posted.
Dr. Santos, thank you for your reply.  I actually posted this for my mom who is in her mid 60s and doesn't get on the computer very often.  I know she has been tested for allergies and they said she does not have any.  She was treated with numerous meds for acid reflux, but none worked and she was given an antibiotic for 10 days, but that did not help either.  The ears, nose and throat specialist said her sinuses look good, nothing wrong there. They did however, say there is a nogel on her lung...she was suppose to followup with it, but had just come off of chemo from breast cancer and I think she was just too exhausted from the cancer treatment to do it at the time.  I think she is making an appointment with an otolaryngologist, and I asked that she tell him about the nogel.  She has had many severe illnesses throughout the years, but she keeps bouncing back like superwoman! She was previously on the kidney transplant list, but her kidney levels shot back up and she has been fine ever since....except for this on going post nasal drip!!! She has been through so much, I would like to be able to get this figured out so she can finally enjoy life fully! Thanks again for your feedback it is much appreciated :)