Ear, Nose & Throat Community
chronic stuffed up nose....
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

chronic stuffed up nose....

I've had a stuffed up nose for over two weeks now.  when i say "stuffed up", i don't mean a casual thing you can blow out with a kleenex.  I mean stuffed up so bad that i cannot breathe through my nose, either nostril.  mouth breathing only.

I've been using various nasal sprays (Afrin, etc) that all work GREAT at clearing up my nose so i can breathe again.  When i use them, they clear up my nose for 6-8 hours and then it's back to square 1.  I've done this for two weeks now when i finally read the bottle of the spray wondering how long this stuff is necessary to use.  I noticed it said "do not use more than 3 days"

YIKES!

now i am wondering if i'm damaging something or what else i need to do.  i've had stuffy noses in the past but never this long before.  I only use the spray when my nose gets so bad i have to breathe through my mouth.... but this is happening daily now.

any suggestions or help?  Why can i not use the OTC nasal sprays for more than 3 days?  what can i do to remedy the underlying problem & get back to normal breathing?

thank you in advance!