Ear, Nose & Throat Community
constant tightness in front of neck/throat HELP!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

hi there  just joined forum.

I have had this tightness feeling in my throat for over 6 months now.  it is very annoying and feels like someone is trying to strangle me!!!!  i did have neck pain for over 2 years but that has  subsided alot now.  has anyone else experienced this constant feeling or any suggestions to what it could be?  it does disappear when i lie down but reappears within a few minutes of standing.

i do check my posture every day as someone said it could be muscle tension in the front of the neck.

PLEASE HELP !!!!

deb
Anxiety can show itself as many different symptoms. This sounds like one to me, but have you had your thyroid checked out by a dr?? Best of luck to you.
My throat feels as if I'm being strangled also. I can't stand for a shirt to touch me from my collarbone up. I'm going in for a scope in two weeks, I'll let you know what they say.I just feel like my neck is gonna burst it is so tight.  
many thanks for those 2 comments.  i would be interested to hear how you get on in a couple of weeks.  unless you have these symptoms it is difficult to describe how awlful it feels.  i live in the uk female aged 40.
many thanks for the replies.  i would be interested in how TonnaB gets on with the scope in 2 weeks time.  sounds like an identical problem to me.  i live in the uk and am aged 40.
I will let you know how scope turns out. I have a swollen lymph node also on side of neck, so I am a tad freaked. I may not be able to wait 2 weeks!! But I will keep you posted. Check thyroid forum, I have been posting a lot on there.
Hi. I had the scope yesterday, it took maybe a minute and a half. He said he saw nothing on the inside. I go for a biopsy on the 16th(for my gland) and he said he'll "look around" while he's in there to see what's going on. So I am no further than I was. Sorry.
What did you find out?  I am having what you had/have.  Have ENY apt. in end of October... a LONG wait.  Wondering what I might find out or give Dr. insight to.  THANKS :-)
Sounds like Globus hystericus. This can be quite scary, and I have had two episodes in my life. I'm 55 yrs old and an R.N. It usually goes away on it's own.  For me, both episodes lasted lest than 4 weeks.  I felt like I was wearing a very tight collar, or had a bone stuck in my throat. It never prevented me from swallowing normally, just felt weird. Look it up on-line for further explanations and suggestions.  It is benign and needs no treatment in most cases, but needs to be diagnosed in order to rule out a possible growth or more serious issue.
Hi I have just discovered this forum, I am the same - tightening of the throat, i am also wretching when i talk, cant breathe too - Drs are saying it is anxiety and asthma, I read something on google that it could be gerd or LPR - it sounds like it, Acid reflux, I am going back to GP tomorrow with print outs x
Hi, I too have this same promblem, It feels like you are being strangled.  I had a scope put down my throat.  The results came back as Reflux.  I was given tablets nearly a year ago now.  But still suffer with it.  It now feels like I have a lump in my throat and it is being pinched.  I also seem to have constant headaches. x
Hi, I also feel like my throat is going to burst its so restricted.I keep pressing it to try and relieve the pressure and sometimes by deep breathing it relieves it but only for a second. I saw the doc and he said I had this condition called cricothyroid muscle spasm and prescribed Somac tablets for the reflux. I've been taking them for 9 days now, its sort of ok, but hasnt made that much of a difference, I'm going to keep taking the Somac for at least a month and see what happens then. I also feel bloated when my throat feels at its worse and find it hard to talk, like I have to strain to say anything and cant hit high notes anymore, in fact it makes me tired just to talk lately. Also, my heart beats so fast. Does anyone else have these exact symptons, I dont get a lump in my throat like some I've read.
"tightness feeling in [your] throat " can be from many reasons, this globus sensation that paulyK mentions is a good term for it.  Anxiety, asthma, GERD acid reflux, foreign bodies, these need evaluation by your doctor.
I am a 40 year old female who has just started having this throat tightening symptom.  Seems to get worse the more I think about it.  Today is probably the worst day (I've had it a few times over the last 3 weeks).  I was diagnosed with Epstein Barr 6 weeks ago, although this doesn't seem to have developed into glandular fever; just extreme fatigue and general malaise.  I also felt as though I had a tablet wedged behind my collarbone for about 2-3 weeks so I stopped the tablets (big naturopath ones), and the feeling gradually went, although this horrible tightness is still there.  I think lying down helps.  Does anyone else have this type of thing?

Yes, I had that same tight feeling in my neck in October.  It was relieved when laying down. I thought nothing of it because I have sinus issues and reflex as well.  I got over it in about a week but got it back again about a month later.  I don't have it anymore.  But, what I do find strange is that my little 8 year old girl said that she felt like there was a rubberband around her neck and it felt really tight.  She is over this as well.  She did not know I was experiencing this because I did not tell her.  So... I am wondering if it is possible that it was more of a viral flu like condition because she does not have reflux or sinus.
I have similar feelings.  I had my gallbladder taken out 2 months ago and have had strange symptoms of pain and tightness in areas in my abdomen, chest and neck since.  I also have some relief when I laying down, or when I raise my chin higher than parallel to the ground.  In addition to the tight feeling, the front center of my neck is tender to the touch and seems to "get stuck" and be cramped when I swallow - like a lump in my throat.  Glands tender also.
My dr has perscribed muscle relaxers, I'm seeing a chiropractor, a massage therapist and doing stretches for the front neck muscles.  I get temporary relief from all of it, but nothing that lasts.
My dr has also said anxiety (I think we all have anxiety because of how we feel!) and muscle tension - which I don't doubt, but something has to be causing it.
Google this:  "cricopharyngeal spasm."  One Doctor describes a procedure he uses to diagnose it, and assures that it is not serious.  He says it is caused by some kind of cramping like a charlie horse, and will go away on it's own in time.  Many experience great relief just knowing it's not cancer.  Take the printout to your doctor if you are being examined for the first time.  His article is also listed on Nexium.com.  Hope this helps.
I just started having a problem that sounds similar but yet different to many of you. I have previously had problems in my sternocleidomastoid from my stroke in water polo (I am a college student who swims and plays water polo) and I am reaching the end of my season and not only do I have pain high in the back of my neck down into my back/shoulders I have started to have pain in the front of my neck from my jaw down over my collar bones. I also recently got hit in the larynx so this really isn't helping the situation. Lying down on my back it still feels really tight, sometimes worse. Putting my head down towards my chest is sometimes the only way I feel like I can breathe. It has continually gotten worse and my trainers nor myself know what is going on. The only thing so far that has been able to release my pain in the back of my neck( which went away but has recently returned with the tightness in the front) has been litacaine shots into certain trigger points.
I have had throat problems all my life, but within the past 2 years I've had this feeling of garbage in my throat and can't seem to clear it out completely. At the same time I have itching ears and they seem to have more wax buildup or leakage at times. Been to ENT several times, have had previous xrays, MRI, Ultra Sound, scope and nothing shows up.  I DID have a staph infection in my ear, so I'm wondering if it didn't go away with the medication and just keeps traveling back and forth from throat to ears through the drainage tunnel.  I'm at my wits' end as well and all I can do is complain about it until I'm dead and have to put it on my gravestone.
I've been currently suffering from a sore throat and cold and today experienced a feeling of tightness (like someone had tried to strangle me) around my neck. I had been wearing a scarf though this was not in any way tight and when taking it off, it made no difference. I am hoping that it is nothing serious e.g Laryngitis, a throat infection, or one of the above, but am going to monitor it over the next day or so and hopefully it will go on its own accord. I have been doing a lot of singing with my choir for Christmas which doesnt help, but am glad i'm not alone with the above problem!
I have had this feeling for years, it is so annoying.  It really got bad when I had thyroidectomy, the doctor botched it, I ended up with a hematoma and he had to operate again. Since then I have had this feeling someone is choking me.  Not only that but after this I was diagnosed with glaucoma and I am wondering if the pressure on neck is causing pressure in eyes.  I have mentioned this to doctors but cannot get a satisfactory answer.  Has anyone else developed glaucoma after removal of thyroid?
I have the tightness around my throat, and when I raise my head, it helps, to breath better. I also have trouble seeing, my face muscles are swollen, one eyelid seems to be closing slower than the other, and it is difficult to form certain words sometimes, like almost when you eat something cold and your mouth is a little numb, and I am having a little more trouble seeing than before this, like something is swollen on the inside! Dr said it was TMJ and I have a staph infection, with no specific treatment given except sulphur for staph and steroid for TMJ. I am done with both medicines and symptoms are right back where we were. I also have way more fatigue than before and pain in my neck, and I sound stopped up in my head, for over 4 months now, and I need help, no insurance and don't know what to do. Someone please advise and thank you.--Janie
Could be Eosinophilic Esophagitis, GERD, or Thyroid Nodules. See a Gastroenterologist and also an Endocrinologist. Be prepared for an endoscopy and possibly a biopsy as well as an ultrasound of your thyroid.
I had the same thing and it was muscle spasms.   Once I knew what was wrong I relaxed
and the spasms went away after a wek or so.
msucle tension dysphonia - that's what this is, especially if you notice you can't speak like you use to be able to. this issue can be cured by seeing a speech pathologist and a great chiropracter... spine cracks can release a lot of muscle tension too! i've been noticing huge imrovements after being helped by these specialists. i thought i had asthama prior to getting their help... the puffer gave me relief for a few months, my speakng and singing voice was normal... but i think my problem got a lot worsel eventually the puffer stopped working... which means my muscle tension got a lot worse. that's when i gave up my puffer for 2 months and saw a specialist who suggested i also visit a chiropractor.

hope this helps people with similar issues. this is pretty hard to diagnose by many and to be normal again takes a lot - only the best doctors can help!

i'm also trying regular massage theraphy.

I'm an opera singer from canada. i've discussed my issuses with other professionsals and they all agree that i'm headed in the right direction. i also feel a lot better! so give this a shot... and i hope i was of some help.
help me! I have this thing too, it began like 4 months ago, I have gone with 3 doctors, the first one, gave me that look.. (you are crazy) and send me with the shrink, the shrink prescribed "haldol", of course it did not work, last doc told me pretty much the same thing that the first one... "its in your mind" you will feel as good as you want, you just have to think you are ok, the guy gave a book, (eat right for your type) and recommended yoga. i have lost some weight but the awful sensation in my neck remains there. I live in Chula Vista Ca. do you know about something that might help?? Im desperate. I know its not in my mind, my hair is falling, my nails canĀ“t be weaker, Im tired all the time, I cry easily, some times i am very hungry, my body start retaining liquid in the afternoon. please somebody help me!
i had epstein bar to =0!!! like 5 years ago, but this throat thing just started!
I had epstein bar 5 years ago as well.  Dealing with the throat thing.  There has to be a connection to the virus.  Let me know what you find out.
I also have this.  I thought it was related to my asthma, but my inhaler does nothing for it.  I also have GERD; but it's under control.  I know it's no anxiety that's causing this for me (the feeling of being choked causes anxiety though), so I looked it up.  This sounds exactly like what I experience.  I hope it helps you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricopharyngeal_spasm
Hi guys, I am 35 and I also have had this pressure on my throat... since March the 12th 2011 and it still hasn't gone away. I saw a couple of doctors, then 4 months later again, but they both told me it will go away... yeah, ok but what is it? I am so scared it might be cancer. If I knew it wasn't, I'd be able to sleep at night and stop being angry all the time just because I am so scared. I am so scared, I am afraid to touch my neck... it's taking away precious moments from my life... even when you are happy, you feel pain and worry that wipes off that smile. It happened during a very streesful time but I refuse to accept that stress can do this to you, even when your life is finally better.... A doctor friend told me to try muscle-relieving pills and they did help, I felt nothing while taking them but once I stopped, the whole thing started again. It stopped for about ten days, two times till now and that's the only thing that gives me hope...Does any of you have this thing come and go?
I am 41 and for the past 5 years I have had pain in my shoulders,back and neck. Not all the time but it would be everyday sometimes more than others I would feel like I was being strangled I would have to lay down for 1 to 3 hours for it to subside enough to fuction again. I went to my dr. and have been diagnosted with high blood preasure (it was 207/107 at the dr. office) and anxiety. Dr put me on high blood preasure medicine. That night I took the meds and the next morning my blood preasure was normal and all my symtoms (symptoms) were gone. I hope my story helps someone because I was in pain for 5 years after many tests and the dr's telling me my high blood preasure was because I was in pain, for me, high blood preasure was causing my pain.
I'm have the same thing and it has come and gone over the last two years, sometimes for months at a time. Look up cricopharyngeal spasms!
I heard from a doc in oregon, that it is called chricopharyngeal, I have it, and been having it for 2 yrss now, same tightness, unbearable. Its due to muscle spasms, look it up. Dont let them tell u its anxiety r panic attacks, if u did have anxiety, its from freacking out from feeling the tightness, thats natural, so they put me on prescription that made it worse and caused more ailments in my body, plz look it up, itakes perfect sense, but I would turn for herbs, look up herbnet.com herbalist is dr. carlos guerero, good luck everyone, I pray ya get help r already gotten the help, mersaidez
How many of you sit at desks all day?

http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=44247

http://www.pressurepointer.com/SCM_trigger_points.htm
sternocleidomastoid, trigger points release and you will be symptom free. trust me, please find out as much as you can about releasing sternocledomastoid trigger points. i did and i am symptom free
sternocleidomastoid is used as an accessory muscle when breathing is apical ie breathing from upper chest instead of diaphragm. also it "switches" on with prolonged sitting postures and the deep neck flexors become inhibited. you need to look up breathing patterns and start self releasing sternocleidomastoid  bilaterally. a tight sternocleidomastoid is also chief cause of frontal lobe headaches. hope this helps.
Hello to Tuscan.I have the same syptoms (symptoms) as yoy with the headaches as well I take topamax for migraines but nothing helps the headaches.
I have been having the exact same problem for weeks now. The first doc I went to said my throat is inflamed and gave me meds but it didn't help. The second doc sent me for an xray and that showed that there is a foreign body or calcification in my throat so I went to an ENT and he said he thinks that it's being caused by a post nasal drip and gave me meds to try. I am currently trying that and if that doesn't help then the net step will be to operate and have a look to see what's there. I have to wait a week to see how I feel but I have to tell you this is the worst feeling in the world. It also causes my jaw to pain really bad and my ears get blocked so there's an echo when I talk. If you having this problem dont leave it go have an xray and go to an ENT. I hope it comes right.
Globus is a spasm of muscles so i dont understand what u mean>> what is benign?? its a spasm not a clot or anything like that
MY (UNFINISHED) STORY (sorry for the length)
I've had this "lump" from about June 2011. Because of something I perceived as 3 "life-crises" (from March 2010 to April 2011), my GP (physician) interpreted it as a "lump of anxiety". Time with psychologist and medics for anxiety, had no effect on the "lump in my throat". From Desember 2011 the "lump" developed to a very-very painful "lump". I "concluded": there MUST BE SOMETHING IN MY TRHOAT OR SWALLOW (pharynx or larynx). In January 2012 it further developed to stabbing pain on two-three places around my adams-apple. I was totally disabled. Slept 1-2-3 hours at night. I required medical examinations. I was through CT, MR, x-ray, gastroscopy, ENT. All without findings. (This just built up under my GPs claim that I had anxiety. When I told my GP that I had put behind me "all those life-crises things", my GP claimed that I had repressed it, and when I told I was convinced that the results from the examinations had to be wrong, my GP interpetated me having an even more disturbed personality).

In the end of January I wrote down my symptoms, pain and observations on a paper. In February I visited another GP. Filled with pain I told my story and showed the GP the paper. I got the same reactions as the last GP gave me. No help.

I started to search the internet for answears. March I started pay for private expertice. Just after visiting another ENT I found video of Dr. Robert Bastion on YouTube describing my symptoms, exept the stabbing pain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkejK6eiHeo)

I conferred this with the ENT and he told me immediatly contact a neurologist. So I did and showed her http://www.voicedoctor.net/content/lump. The neurologist wrote out a prescription for Rivotril. IT WORKED. The pain disappeared more and more for each day. They both wrote referral for University hospital. (2 months to wait...).

TIPS 1: Do not stop taking the prescribed muscle-relaxing tablets because you think you're healed or because you're afraid of becoming addicted. Do the cure (Mine is 6 weeks with gradually reduction. I'm on the third).
TIPS 2: Take control over your situation. Either in pain or not - do not wait for others to solve your problem. Months goes by and if you're sick leave from work "minor" problems compared with the pain situation are queed.
I TOO HAVE BEEN HAVING JEW, TEETH, EAR, RINGING IN THE OTHER EAR, GULPING WHEN I SWALLOW, AND THE FEELING OF TIGHTNESS ACROSS MY THROAT LIKE SOMEONE IS APPLYING PRESSURE AROUND IT.  
I THOUGHT I HAD AN INFECTED TOOTH AS I HAVE A CRACKED LOWER BACK MOLAR. (HAVE DENTAL APPOINTMENT FOR THAT BUT THEY SAID THEY COULD NOT GET ME IN SOONER THEN JUNE 16TH, 2012. AND THAT I SHOULD GO TO THE ER.)
I HAD BEEN TO AN ENT WHO SAID EVERYTHING LOOKED GOOD. (HARD TO BELIEVE WITH MY EAR HURTING SO BAD.) HE WAS TRYING TO GET ME APPROVAL FOR A CT WITH CONTRAST, MY NECK IS SWOLLEN.
MY PT TOLD ME TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL ALSO, HE SAID HE COULD NOT DO ANYTHING WITH MY NECK TILL IT WAS BETTER.
I HAVE HAD MY RIGHT SHOULDER RECONSTRUCTED TWICE, THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME BILATERALLY, (BOTH 1ST RIB'S REMOVED, AND CEDERS HOSPITAL IN L.A., AND TO MAKE IT WORSE THEY GAVE ME MRSA AT THE DRAINAGE TUB SITE). A 3 LEVEL SPINAL FUSION C4 - C7, 3 TITANIUM PLATES PUT IN.
I HAVE HAD A BREAKOUT FROM THE MRSA, THEY DO NOT TELL YOU THAT FOR ONE THING MRSA IS A TRANSFER STAPH, IT IS NOT AIR BORN, AND ONCE YOU GET IT YOU HAVE IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
SO WITH ALL OF THIS I DECIDED TO GO TO THE ER, THINKING IF IT IS FROM THE TOOTH I MAY HAVE AN INFECTION IT THE BONE, AND MAYBE THE MRSA IS AFFECTING THIS.
WELL THEY DID A CT OF MY NECK, IT SHOWED NO INFECTION, NO SWOLLEN GLANDS, MY SPINAL FUSHUN LOOKED OK. HOWEVER THE CT DID SHOW AN ASYMMERTIC ENLARGEMENT OF THE RIGHT STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID MUSCLE. ALSO DIMINUTIVE LEFT VERTEBRAL ARTERY. AND THEY TOLD ME TO STOP PT FOR NOW, AND GAVE ME VALIUM FOR THE INFLAMMATION.
IF YOU ARE HAVING THE SYMPTOMS  I DESCRIBED ABOVE YOU MIGHT WANT TO HAVE A CT OF YOUR NECK.
I HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL TO YOU. I AM ATTACHING A LINK ABOUT THIS AREA OF MUSCLE.
LOVE IN JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternocleidomastoid_muscle  
Just reading your comment!! Tried going 2sleep but for the 1st time in my life experienced like wat I would call a choking experience, my voice is also hoarse! I've suffered with anxiety and panic attacks in the past but this seems 2b totally different! X
I've told my GP about the tightness in the front muscles of the neck and was given an ultra sound of the thyroid as well the an MRI.  Two nodules on both thyroid sides were discovered.  Now I have been monitored since February of this year.  Nodules are still the same size and will have to go again in October for another ultra sound.  In the meantime, the surgeon who is monitoring the nodules told me that I had a clear case of "Tortocallis".  

Has anyone else had this diagnosis
It is absolutely ANXIETY!  The best way to be for sure is to take a Xanax or Lorazepam and if it goes away you have anxiety.  I have it and it totally *****!  Mine comes in the exact form that you decsribed.
I have been having the same issues for over nine months.  So three months ago I found out i had and enlagared thyroid and had that removed. Also was told I had astamah and anexity.  Now for the last month the neck tightness has came back along with vision and echoing when i talk.  To matters worst i have tightness on the right side of my chest.
The strangelig feeling may be air trapped in swallow. Yes, sounds idiotic, but I have had this terrible feeling for one year, and it escalated to invalidating pain after a half year. By 13 month I found that using a neti-pot, took away the pain for a while.

Reason: my eustachian tubes are somehow too tight. You write you spitted blood. Could that be nose bleeding? If so, maybe the blood are clogging your openings to- or got inside your eustachian tubes while doing Vasalvas manoevre or something.

The logic is like this: While swallowing salliva, a lot of air is in the mouth. My theory is that, with perfect functioning eustachian tubes, excessive air goes to the tubes and middle-ear becaus your soft palate rise and opens the way to the eustachian tubes.

If the tubes are closed, in some matter, the excessive air goes down in your "pharynx" (swallowing tube), the autonomic swallowing reflex "misunderstand" whats in it and push tight, trying to move what should be food, further down and into your stomach.

BUT, what happens, is that the air doesn't go down, it goes up, and the muscles starts fighting trying to get it down.

The strangelig feeling, is the upper sphincter of your stomach closes harder and harder. And that makes the strangelig feeling.

It's just a theory, because it has made sense to me.

If it relieves your pain using av neti-pot, I'd love to hear it from you on this thread. (I add it to my "watch list").

I wish you days without suffering - that's the most basic, important thing in life.
Much the same story as I (psychiatrist, CT, MR, videofluoroscope). Nothing wrong to see. No medics or "talk" helps.

Read my comment just made on this thread (august 8th, 2012). It seems we have quit like problems.
To everyone mystified by what might be wrong with them, please research: LARYNGOPHARYNGEAL REFLUX  (LPR)

For 9 months, I had all the same symptoms everyone here was talking about: choking feeling, difficulty swallowing, the "globus" feeling of something being "stuck" in the throat (swollen epiglottis flap), asthma-like wheezing in the throat, hoarse voice, etc. I finally convinced a G.I. doctor to scope down my throat, and it turned out to be Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR). Basically, my epiglottis, larynx, and vocal cords were dramatically swollen from acid reflux (and food allergies, too, I later learned). I took two Prilosec a day, in morning and night, for a month and am almost back to normal now. For a more hardcore treatment, the prescription PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) Dexilant has worked for more stubborn cases, according to my doctor (but I had to stop the Dexilant because of side effects).

I hope this helps!
i have been having the same problem and i have a goiter but its lower than that so i am going to get a light down my throat to see what is going on cause its its annoying so its happening to me alsl
I have had a similar problem for about 2 years.  It started very suddenly.  My throat feels very tight and my chest feels heavy.  The worst part is that it hurts to speak.  It gets to the point where i will go days without saying anything.

I have been to an ENT, has 2 rounds of voice therapy, had a laryngoscopy, and some procedure where there puffed up my vocal cords with some material so that they would vibrate better.  None of it helped.

Now im going to a GI to get an endoscopy done.  They are also going to monitor my acid levels for a few days.  If they find anything I will let you know.

If they dont find anything, life *****...
I have exact background as you and am finally going to a gi. They think mine started with a virus that attacked vocal cords about 2 years ago, and that all the prednisone they gave me caused acid reflux and mucus around my cords.
They tried botoxing the cords that didn't help, but it ruled out spasmodic dysphonia.........so now finally going to the GI..have been taking Prilosec like you, but doesn't seem to help. I wish I had gone to GI sooner....I think there is a surgery that can be preformed if acid reflux is confirmed by gi, that blocks acid from coming to throat. I feel like I am constantly being strangled, and it is often uncomfortable to talk.....please keep me informed, and I will keep you informed......curious what doctors you have gone to if you live in Los Angeles.
I went to a GI and they gave me this Bravo meter.  They insterted this transmitter in my esophogus and it read my PH for 2 days.  Then it was finished, they told me that I had acid reflux and that I needed to take 40 mg Prilosec twice a day for several months (the OTC version is 20 mg).  I have only been on it for like 2 weeks now and I am not sure if it is helping or not, but I guess it wouldnt be realistic to expect a big change already.  I have had throat problems for 2 years, so a few weeks without acid isnt going to heal it.

I hope your problems get better.  If anything changes I will let to you know!
I have this throat feeling, also my neck feels funny. I have an anti-anxiety medication called klonopin that I take just 1/4 of maybe once a month or less when I am feeling really anxious or really tightened up. It helps SOOO much. I recommend asking your doctor if you can take this, as I've found that most of my weird symptoms (which usually are numbness or tingling in weird spots like my nose or my cheek) along with the spinning head syndrome, as I call it, feel so much more normal when I take this medication. So, I assume most of these issues are related to anxiety, even if there is nothing that I'm necessarily anxious about (that I know of). I hope you all feel better. It ***** to have these strange symptoms!!
Dr Choi, I would be so grateful if you could answer my question. Could a ceramic dental implant being causing me these symptoms? I also just got over shingles. God has healed me before, and I am waiting on him again. I just wanted to know if I should have this implant removed?, and would that bring on it's own new set of problems?. thank you so much.
I feel something really irritating in my throat and while wearing a scarf I feel like the scarf is causing the tightness but thats not the case.
I have difficulty in talking from sometime as well.I have had this problem for around 3 weeks or so and together with that slight problem while swallowing(like something is pulling and not letting me eat so well).Four doctors confirmed it is nothing but I still feel irritated and cry really often.I am only 12 years old and the doctors think I its just anxiety(which I partly agree on because I have been really stressed concerning this matter lately)...I am really worried!
I have also been going through constant pain in my neck tightness on and off..more so through out the day. It has been about one year now, very frustrating and scary. I have home to ny primary Dr..Ent Dr.. they said nothing is wrong.. but its a annoying pain that I can't deal with any longer.. please let me know if there is hope to this.. tightness both sides chocking ughhhh! :(
By reading all of your comments I have gained much reassurance in knowing that I am not alone with my symptoms... and not CRAZY! Although my symptoms (tightness in throat, general malaise, etc.) only started a week ago, the strangling feeling is VERY ANNOYING. I am thankful to everyone for the tips and advice. I now have some information to research. I still might contact my doctor to rule out any serious health concerns. But, now I don't feel so foolish telling my doctor "it feels like someone is strangling me!" You are all in my prayers for relief of your symptoms. And, I will continue to watch this forum for additional information and updates.
Hello everyone, I'm in the UK and I a suffering from these symptoms too and have been for almost 4 weeks. I am at my wits end and feel like I'm going out of my mind!!! I just constantly feel like I'm being strangled or that I have a lump in my throat, and it is the worst feeling in the world. It hurts to swallow saliva, but eating and drinking is ok. I've tried so many things - gargling with saltwater,and mouthwash, drinking lemon and honey and sucking on strepsils but nothing works. I've been much more stressed before than I have been for the last few weeks. I wasn't particularly anxious but now this thing is making me very anxious. Things that wouldn't normally bother me are really irritating me and my heart is beating really fast. I feel dizzy, and I've broken down in tears a few times because I just can't handle this feeling. I'm awaiting results back from blood tests to check my thyroid, but I'm pretty sure it won't show anything. From the sounds of it it seems likely to either be globus pharyngus or acid reflux. I've read every comment on here but no-one seems to have said anything that can help?? Please please help someone, I just can't take it any more. I dread to think that it could last months, even years :'(    
i have had this too tho just recently.feels like I am being strangled and cannot bear anything around my neck.i usually wear roll neck jumpers

I think my neck is swollen and when I see my dr next I will ask him about thyroid glands which he has checked on in the past btu not sure if he I s still.
It's interesting to read about all your posts in connection with the strange throat tightness. I have this feeling too and at the same time my belly get stiff like a ball. I notice that this feeling comes often after being exposed to cold temperature irrespective whether it is AC or cold weather. I am not certain but I think that all this has something to do with allergies and in my case I doubt it is about dust mites allergy. The huge pressure in the belly may also lead to an hernia. I would be grateful to read your reactions and any similar experiences along with any solution if any. Take care.
I started feeling the tightening my throat about a month ago. I thought I had some savvier but now after reading. I'm going to go get checked.
I started having an odd sensation in the front of my neck a few weeks ago.  It started out happening a couple of times a day for a minute or two and has increased over time.  I just had my thyroid checked and it was fine so I was at a loss for the cause.  Last night was the worst it had been.  I was sitting up in bed and it was really uncomfortable.  My breathing and swallowing was not hampered and it is more of a pressure than a pain but it was starting to concern me.  I notice though that when I laid down it seemed to subside.  I saw the comment from ezmam about sternocledomastoid trigger points today while sitting at my desk.  I immediately squeezed those pressure points and the sensation went away.  I even felt a little pop in the sinus cavity near my ear. It appears that my issue is just muscle tension.  Thank you all for all your comments.  They really helped me to narrow down my particular problem.
Dear Paul

Please consult a homeopathic Doctor It will  help I think it is due to panic attacks and some depression

You May also Have the fullness of stomach gas which might not come out from above or bottom Treat with homeopathic pills It will be  comfort very soon
please email me your reoprt  on ***@****
after you are better  GOD BLESS YOU
Hello Nichola. I know this is years after your post, but i have been feelign exactly the same as what you wrote, to the extent that reading your post made me feel that I was reading my own thoughts.

I wantedto ask you what happened? did the feelign eventally go? was it (god forbid) somethign serious? because I am freaking out, and everyone an=round me thinks its in my head. because dr's couldnt find anything .. and NO-ONE believes the doscomfort im feeling.

I would really appreciate hearing back from you.
I am almost in tears after finding your post.  My symptoms are precisely the same as yours (sensation of swelling and lump in throat, like a tight tie), including the occasional tiny sharp stabbing sensations under my chin.  I can mimic it by pressing below my Adam's apple.  It gets worse with stress, but temporarily relieved while eating.  Blood work, x-ray, MRI, and esophageal endoscopy are all normal.  I took one of my mom's Valium tablets yesterday, and within an hour, the symptoms were almost completely gone for the first time in two months.  I will be seeing my ENT soon, and I will share these findings.  I don't know how I can ever thank you for solving this for me.  Bless you for taking the time to let everyone know your story.
I have the tightness in my throat/neck also and am also 40. I've had it for close to 5 years. It doesn't go away. I do have GERD, acid reflux and esophageal spasms which may contribute and a very tight sternocleidomastoid on the right. It's very uncomfortable when I stand or walk, especially when I walk and it gets worse the farther I walk. The pressure/tightness and sometimes throat pain is pretty harsh. I notice bad posture related to staring down at a computer or phone also makes it worse.
I'll pray for you all and will look in to the possible explanations mentioned here. Thanks.
God bless.
I suffered from this same tightness across my chest & throat for months this year (2014). I couldn't wear necklaces or any top that touched my chest or neck--v-neck only. I WAS MISERABLE FOR MONTHS. I thought my thyroid was the problem, or worse.

I researched this extensively and yes, found that there could be issues with the sternocleidomastoid muscle. I've been through physical therapy before and so has my husband. We were talking about posture and it's impact on our necks and he noted that he always sees me slouch. As we progressed in our understanding more, I decided to try something.

I STOPPED USING MY PILLOW TO SLEEP. INSTEAD, I USED A NECK ROLL. IN 3 DAYS THE TIGHTNESS WAS SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED! I have used a neckroll for the past 6 weeks and the PAIN IS COMPLETELY GONE!

I started with a simple neckroll. I rolled a towel and slept on that. It was roughly 3 inches in diameter. I didn't sleep well at first, but I knew it was working. I moved to a small neck pillow which worked fine. I would recommend a CERVICAL SLEEP PILLOW. Many options are available and you should be able to buy a good one for less than $20 USD.

As you would expect, my body was adjusting as I slept. Therefore, I noticed increased tightness in my back, in the lumbar region and shoulder on the left side of my body. As the muscles in the front were relaxing, the ones in the back were reacting and tightening.

So, to compensate: simple reaches and stretches--arm up over your head gently reaching over (palm up & palm down). Clasp arms gently above your head and move gently feeling the muscles & where they are tight. Pull or push gently side to side as you move your arms further back. Anything that will stretch these muscles will help.

And a couple biggies: SIT LESS (sitting is SO bad for us!)  and when I sit, I (try to remember to) SIT UP STRAIGHT!  :) Even when using my computer, I stand (and move) as much as possible. Watch your ergonomics! Shoulders back, head up--so prop your computer up if you have to to keep the screen closer to eye level. The less you slouch, the more you will help your body! This pain will subside.

Please try this if you are able. I feel your pain because I felt your pain! During this time, I was miserable and afraid (it is such an ODD feeling!). Now I am free, I stand tall and I move more.

Please post if you have questions, concerns & if this helps you! Others need to know.

In love & light. We are all one.
DON'T BELIEVE YOU NEED AN ANTI-ANXIETY MED.

That's not what this is!

Please never accept it if a lay person suggests you need pharmaceuticals! That's a very irresponsible suggestion. There are plenty ways to reduce your stress without pharma!

If you DO take anti-anxiety meds, BE WARNED...

Recent research shows even limited use of meds like Xanax, Valium and other benzodiazepines (any time in your lifetime) are linked to an increased risk of Alzeimer's and dementia.

Read more here:

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-anxiety-drug-alzheimers-20140909-story.html

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/benzodiazepine-use-may-raise-risk-alzheimers-disease-201409107397

Reduce your anxiety naturally. Here are some suggestions & things that have worked really well for me:

Reduce your stress (sometimes this can mean change your expectations!).

Meditate (just sit quietly, let  your mind stop working for a while, you WILL notice a difference!).

Get enough sleep (I know, it's hard to do!)

Eat fresh fruit & veggies. Drink plenty of water. Avoid processed food. Avoid sodas (so very bad for us, especially diet sodas). Reduce your sugar intake.

LAUGH - find reasons to laugh, make reasons to laugh. Stop taking things so seriously, enjoy your time on this beautiful Earth! Spend more time in nature, walk barefoot (shown to calm and ground us), garden...

Avoid the news. Don't fall into the pit of despair that the media likes to foist on us!

Accept the wisdom of the serenity prayer, regardless of your feelings about God & Spirit:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

(this is a tough one to learn, but if you can stop worrying about things you cannot change, you will be amazed at the release of stress you will feel!)

Drink herbal teas that are known to calm. Gentle ones are lemon balm, chamomile, lavendar or peppermint. Others that help but can be reactive with other meds include: valerian, kava or passionflower. These last 3 are too strong for me. Be careful. Consult your doctor or find a local naturopath.

Most important, LOVE YOURSELF! Face your emotions. Stop judging yourself (and others). Work to find a life balance.

I found a podcast from a therapist named Max Highstein and it has helped me enormously. You might find this useful.

Love yourself and feed your soul.

In love & light.