Ear, Nose & Throat Community
constantly sick

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

constantly sick

I have been sick off and on for about 3 years now.  I've had strep throat numerous times, along with bronchitis, pnemonia (pneumonia), UTI's, and a few colds and sinus infections. I also had mono about 2 years ago.  I'll feel good for about a week and then sick for 2-3, then healthy, sick again.  It's a never-ending cycle.  I was just wondering what might be the cause of this?  I've been to the doctor many times, but every time I go, they tell me it's just a cold, come back in a week if it's not better.  Or with the mono/strep they tell me to take the medications and it'll go away.  It does go away, for about a week, but I just don't know what to do.  I'm so tired of being constantly sick.  I feel like the doctors don't always listen to what I'm trying to tell them; I say that I'm constantly sick, and they tell me to get more rest, drink a lot of water, etc....but I don't think it's normal to be sick so often. I'm just looking for some advice, either on how to stop this, or on how to talk to my doctor to make them understand that this really is not just a "cold."
Tags: chronic
I noticed this post and had to respond based on my own symptoms of what I consider a chronic illness state, my issues started in the summer of 08....It started with a cold like thing that was going around and never got much better.....doctors said allergy, CT said I had a nasal spur & deviated septum, had that fixed in 9/09, and then just 5 wks ago I had my tonsils removed, at the age of 53 no less....I tried to get allergy shots last summer, but that didn't work out...it seems that my symptoms are worse in the summer months...things can be ok till I get in cold temps, or have air blowing on my face....what I have come to believe based on the time this has gone on is that my ear keeps fluid in it constantly...perhaps it is the middle ear because the dr's say my ears do not present with any infection, yet, my symptoms speak to an infection.....since the tonsillectomy things have really gotten bad, I have been sick for about 3 weeks now....and I can tell it is my left ear that is predominantly the problem....don't let anyone look in your ear and tell you that because they don't see anything externally that you do not have reason to suspect your ears as a culprit....they can look at your throat, and even your sinuses with CT, but the ears are a breeding ground for bacteria and if fluid is retained, it makes you a chronically sick person.....there are a few tests I have insisted on just because I don't feel comfortable with some of the theories given to me...some in depth lab work, etc....I want to avoid getting tubes in the ears due to all the negative things I have read...I wanted to pipe in with this comment because I know what's it's like to have your health seem to go out of balance virtually overnight.....it is hard to navigate these things because doctors are very hesitant to tell us the things we need to know.....I now understand why people don't go to doctors and just let illnesses progress.....till they are out of control....I believe I have a genetic ear problem that has been going on in my family for generations, but can't get a good opinion about any of it....hope you can get to a conclusion about your condition soon...it makes you age faster when you are sick....good luck