Ear, Nose & Throat Community
crackling in the ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

crackling in the ear

does anyone know what is causing the static type noise in my left ear when,talking,listening to tv or any outside noise.my hearing is ok and i dont get dizziness,it seems worse in the evening.and stops if it is very quiet,cotton wool in the ear also helps sometimes,my ears are clear of wax,any suggestions please
I used to have the same thing for years. It was from thick fluid in my inner ear. The doctors didn't even see it when they looked in my ear. I had allergies that was causing it. Once I got them taken care of, it went away.
thanks,the doc said my ear was clear but i asked for a referal to the ent dept.i have to wait for a phone call on monday to see if my referal is ok,its very annoying as even body movement can make my ear crackle,i am even mad at the dog when she barks . again thanks and i will see what happens
I had a similar problem when I got Eustachian Tube Dysfunction from blowing my nose when i had a cold.  It sounded like a cracked speaker on an old stereo.
Hey johnnty!

I was wondering if you have taken care of your problem and want to listen to my story.

My right ear would make noises in rhythm with other external noises. Like if I'm typing, the ear would be producing noises imitating the rhythm of typing. This can also happen with other noises. Like I'd be holding my phone to my left ear - and the right ear would be crackling synchronously with my friend's voice on the phone.

The noises that my right ear would react to are unpredictable. Sometimes the typing or the phone would cause no reaction. And sometimes they would. Sometimes the ear would just react to a certain person's speech while being unresponsive to another person.

The noise that the ear would produce would best be compared to a sail of a ship being moved around by the wind.

The doctors have not provided an explanation. They seem to either discard it, or say "you have hypersensitive ears", or prescribe zinc and lipoflavinoids, or anti-congestant. Nothing helps.

Also, for the last 15 years I've noticed that the hearing in the ear that makes the noise has been apparently less acute than the other ear, though both ears pass all hearing tests equally fine. But the quality of hearing is subjectively worse in that ear to me: everything seems to be more muffled.

Also, I have ringing in my ears that I take notice of only when I lay down in bed when going to sleep.

Let's try to figure this out!