Ear, Nose & Throat Community
deep lobe parotid tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

deep lobe parotid tumor

I have a marble sized deep lobe parotid neoplast. The biopsy and images indicate benign but the neck surgen says a small amount of these turn to cancer. One year ago he said we would leave it alone, but after my 3rd MRI that shows no change or no growth, the doctor is now saying I should consider removing it while I'm younger. He says now would be a 1 percent chance of facial paralysis but if I wait until I'm 50, it would be a 10 percent chance of paralysis. Also, if it turned to cancer, I would definatley have facial paralysis because they would have to remove the nerve. I'm scared and not sure what to do.  I'm not ready to have my face ripped opened and chance bell's palsey symptoms at 39.  Any insighnt would be great.
Sorry to hear this. I have not had the problem but this sounds very similar to what my opthomologist went through a few years ago and probably around your age.  He was diagnosed by a physician in the town we live in but he went up to UC Davis Medical Center to see a specialist up there. He had the surgery done at UC Davis and he is fine today, no residual paralysis.
I would strongly suggest you try to find a specialist that is experienced in doing that type of surgery.  
Do not wait!!  I am 52 and min has progressed to the point of soooo much scar tissue that has invade and grown around and around my nerves that they cannot remove the parotid without total permanent facial paralysis.

New Parotid Forum started:     PAROTID GLAND ISSUES.

I'm sorry to hear about your parotid tumor. I had the paritidectomy 5 years ago. Mine was also small and benign but I went against the advice of my doctor to not have it removed. I did a lot of research and didn't want anything foreign left in my body to develop into cancer especially in the face around your nerves. I would highly suggest getting it removed just from my personal experience. The 3 hour surgery turned into a 6 hour surgery and afterwards the doctors all said it was a good thing I decided to have it taken out. Even though it was small it was wrapped around my nerves and hard to remove (which for some reason they can't see in scans & mri's). I had paralysis immediately after the surgery for about a week or so but I was back at work in two weeks. The scar healed nicely and hardly anyone ever sees it. I had the wooden ear for a long time but got used to it. Still I have numbness directly under the ear but it doesn't bother me. I hope this helps... Remember to do your research on your dr(s) and make sure they do this procedure often and are skilled. I had a great team doing mine. Good luck!! let me know if you have any more questions that I can answer for you.. It is a hard decision to let someone operate on your face.. I was completely stressed about it but I'm glad I did it!