Ear, Nose & Throat Community
dizziness only when lying down....is it sinus related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

When I lay down and then turn my head from side to side, often times I have waves of dizziness from turning my head that subsides after a few moments.  I am having sinus surgery in 3 weeks due to issues....I am wondering if this dizziness could all be sinus related?
Yes, I would say there is a high probability this is related to your sinuses.

Do you get any dizziness when upright at all?  What sinus issues are you having and/or had?
Some dizziness upright.  I have a polyp or cyst in my sinus cavity, cant remember if it was maxillary or splenoid.  Having surgery to correct deviated septum, septoplasty, turbiinate reduction and remove polyps/cysts found on CT scans.   Headaches are horrible, pressure on my nose and upper teeth is almost unbearable at times....dealt with this a long time...but finally after ongoing sinus infection for the past 10 months I gave up and gave in to having this surgery which I am very nervous about.  Hoping these next 3 weeks pass by quickly so I don't back out again on having it all fixed.  

This short spell of giddiness when you move your head on either side while lying down or getting up from the bed must be more of a Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) rather than a sinus infection itself. Sometimes there might be giddiness in an acute sinusitis condition.

BPPV is caused because of the displacement of the otoliths into the semicircular canal of the human inner ear. When the otoliths are displaced, during the movements of the head in particular positions causes dizziness for a short while (from few seconds to few minutes).

When you consult your ENT specialist you can definitely make a mention about this. Any more doubts you are welcome.

Regards
OHNS2010
Doubt any BPPV; definitely a sinus issue.  

I completely understand the idea of surgery is scary, but in your case it is much needed.

Please keep us posted on your outcome.

Please go through this link and decide yourself.

http://www.entcanada.org/public2/patient3.asp

Regards
OHNS2010
There is no doubt I suffer from chronic sinusitis.  I do have anatomical issues, hence the reason for the septoplasty/turbinate reduction/ethmoidectomy as well as another pocket of something that was detected in the CT scan....a retention cyst was mentioned too.  
I am very nervous about the procedure.  But know it is something that needs to be done.  
I am curious about recovery time and the pain involved....can you offer me any advice?
Also....just wondering...OHNS2010...are you a physician?

I am a practicing ENT specialist; I can understand the apprehension you have. Let me explain to you something about this.

1. Septoplasty is a corrective procedure of the nasal septum. Many cases of chronic sinusitis are attributed to the septal deviation. As the septum blocks the airway and a negative pressure created behind the deviation causing stasis of the nasal secretions, as well infections. If at all you have any nasal allergy it will worsen the condition. Hence septal correction would solve most of the problems.

2. Added to the septal deviation there will usually be a compensatory hypertrophy of the turbinates, worsening the situation.

3. The retention cyst is nothing but the swelling of the mucosa of the maxillary sinuses because of the constant negative pressure inside the sinuses (Bernoulli's phenomenon).

• Relax! The entire surgery is performed inside the nose, no scar is seen outside.
• Straightening of the septum (septoplasty), trimming of the turbinates (nasal turbinoplasty) and widening of the sinus ostium and removal of the disease is referred to as (Functional endoscopic sinus surgery).
• The surgeon will pack your nose for a day or two, till the pack is there in the nose you will be having nasal block and mild headache. Once the pack is removed you will be feeling comfortable.
• There will be some amount of nasal block even after removing of the nasal pack, which is attributed to post surgical edema.
• Also, you will notice minute amount of blood in the mucus, this is because of the clearing of the retained blood clots in the sinus cavity.
• So, over all you might require bed rest 2-3 days post surgery, later on you can perform your routine activities but you need at least 2 weeks for the entire thing to become alright.
• Your surgeon will also prescribe you saline nasal drops or spray to keep the nasal cavity moist and removal crusts and the blood clots.
Regarding your dizziness, your ENT specialist will perform all the required tests in his office when you visit him.
Any more doubts you are always welcome.

Regards
OHNS2010
Thank you very much.  Your post was very informative and truly answered most of my questions.  I am wondering what the length of time the procedure takes  Also, I have lots of post nasal drip now and sometimes feel as though it is stuck at the back of my throat and I cannot swallow or otherwise get rid of it.  What is your opinion on this?  Is this sinus related?

On an average, it takes somewhere between 11/2 - 2 hours for this surgery in the expert hands.

Post nasal drip is also a part of sinusitis but also seen in conditions like acid reflux disease. Take steam inhalations, drink plenty of warm water and take mucolytics (such as ambroxyl/bromhexine). Hope this should reduce few of your symptoms.

Regards
OHNS2010