Ear, Nose & Throat Community
dry nose and top gums dry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

dry nose and top gums dry

i constantly have a dry nasal passages. i have nothing to blow out just dry all the time. And my top teeth gums are dry too, and i get white tongue i guess caused by breathing thru mouth, no thrush. I do the neti pod feel better for 30 mins and then back to dryness again. I cant talk too much, otherwise i start feeling dry my nose and mouth, and get fatigued. Then my tongue feel dry and gets white. I feel better when i scrape the white stuff off, but comes back often. Its been going on for 4-5 years. Its start to sleep well, and function with these issues. Doc put me on Flonase didnt work. HELP !! thanks
Has Sjögren's syndrome been ruled out?  
doc doesnt think i have that no dry eyes at all
Well, you don't have to have "dry eyes" to have Sjögren's; that is a symptom you CAN have with it.  The testing is pretty simple.  This could be an autoimmune issue.  

Any tongue scrapings and nasal passage swabs obtained and sent for laboratory investigation?  

Flonase for dry nasal passages? Hmmm....don't know about that.  Have you ever used a saline spray; ocean spray for your dry nasal passages?  Have you ever been prescribed Salagen for your mouth/oral cavity?  

Any other medical conditions?  Taking any medications at this time?  Smoker?  

Sorry for all the questions.  

ic . no i dont smoke never did.  i do the neti pod , ocean, saline mist, it helps temporary only.  seems worse at night and also weird when i have a full stomach after eating. It also seems worse indoors. I use hypo allergy pillows case etc... dry nasal passages which  i think causes the white tongue.  i tried this new spray i saw on amazon called Xlear, just started seems no effect. i like the questions btw only way to get to the conclusion. have you had this problem? thanks
btw i use biotene for dry mouth and oasis.  my friend says i should get a HIV test :) kinda scary
i have kaiser it is more a emergency plan it *****. any visits cost me out of pocket deductible 5k.
Do you know how you test for auto immune disease is it a HIV test or various lab work? thanks
This DOESN'T sound like anything "allergy-related."  As far as testing for autoimmune disorders.....there are numerous labs that can be drawn; depends on what the physician is suspecting.  This would be a job for your physician to figure out.  Flonase....pffff......that's NOT going to do anything for you.  Doesn't sound like this physician knows what he is doing or he isn't going to do much for you.  I would ask to be referred out to a Specialty.

Again......Any tongue scrapings and nasal passage swabs obtained and sent for laboratory investigation?  This could be some type of fungal issue.

I would recommend getting the screening for Sjögren's syndrome.  

HIV isn't any "autoimmune" disease; nothing to do with that.  HIV is a immunodeficiency syndrome; issue.  That's an easy test to have done.  I wasn't really thinking this was HIV.

I don't know anything about the insurances, etc.  Unfortunately, all this isn't free and can turn into a huge medical expense.  

thanks for the info.  i am going to an ENT tomorrow keep you updated.