Ear, Nose & Throat Community
dry skin inside ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

dry skin inside ears

I am a 31yo male that has been to many doctors and an e.n.t specialist since i was about 5 years old with both my ears draining clear or yellowish fluids and having dry skin inside my ears.It is so itchy that i can't help but to pick and peel at them. Sometimes thay bleed there so dry. I've had tubes put in twice and many types of antibiotics and ear drops but nothing seems to have helped at all. I've since given up on doctors, thay always want to give the same medicine that don't do a thing for them, and just live with it as much as i would like to get them fixed. If anybody out there give any advice. I would greatly appreceate it.
Did they give the cortizone type ear drops? It turns out that many people have a sensitivity to those and it makes the infection worse.  I was told not to use them at all.  I was given a different drop which is gylcerin based and it works better but you have to find a schedule of use that works best.  It is not a cure and I think the problem stems from allegies & or water in the ears from showers etc.  Did they check for yeast infection in your ears?  I have had this on going problem(itchy ears for over 10 yr) draining, scaling, itchy, smelly, sticky fluid,infection for over 5 months now & this drop is the best I have found yet but its NO CURE.  I tear at my ears in my sleep to this day,makes them bleed.  I try to keep my hair covering my ears because it is embarassing and ugly.  I don't have the money to go back to the ENT at this time so I will suffer a little longer.  I hope that you fare better. Good Luck with your search, keep me updated as I will you.  Happy New Year
Your problem is that you probably have a food allergy.  Those are the exact same symptoms that I have...I went to an allergist and was tested.  I have an allergy to wheat, rye, barley, oats...You'll find that wheat is in alot of things (msg, gluten, pretty much every food that is processed.  You'll need to follow a gluten free diet (the same as for celiac disease).  A coritsone cream helps, also there is a special soap... don't remember the name of it but you can use a dandruff shampoo (it has the same ingredients and use it on your ears.  Good Luck.
I've been using a product called "Clam Ear" which is basically some herbal oils that work well in lubricating the ear and stopping the itching. Trouble is you have to apply it a few times a day after it dries up. But it does offer relief.
hi, i had a similar problem for about 2 years. Constant infections and itchy ears , which led to loss of hearing due to build up of infected puss. I went to a specialist and he carried out an ear debridement on me. After this, no further problems. I also use a product called Swimear, which drys my ear when wet, to prevent any future infections. haven't had a problem since.
Vitamin a deficiency may be a possibility? It certainly helped me when I had dry flaky skin in ears and nose. Good luck