Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear and head noise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear and head noise

I have had tinnitis for years and I'm used the ringing in my ears. However, lately I have also noticed head and ear noise on the left side of my head, that almost sounds like I am holding a sea shell up to my ear. It's really loud sometimes and I have found that it's less irritating if I plug that ear. Anyone have any ideas? I am having some head congestion and trouble with watery eyes. Thanks for any input. B
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The additional sound you hear can sometimes be due to tensor tympani muscle spasms. There are three tiny ear bones in the middle ear (the area on the other side of the eardrum) with muscles (the stapedial and tensor tympani muscle) that are attached to them. Like any muscle, they can go into spasm and rapidly twitch (myoclonus). When this happens in the ear, it will cause the eardrum to vibrate like a drum, resulting in a clicking or even a machine-like sound. The muscles in the throat and palate (the tensor veli palatini muscle) can also be contributory.

If your symptoms persist, you may need to consult an ENT specialist. Muscle relaxants may help with this condition.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you so much for your response. I have found that if I plug that ear, I don't hear the noise. Of course, I can't hear well then either, but at least the noise isn't as noticeable. I have also started having trouble with stuffy head and watering eyes, and some balance problems. Feeling a little light headed. Going to try to get in to see my dr. tomorrow.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Good Luck with your therapy.