Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear crystals

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear crystals

I was told that my dizziness could be from ear crystals that were out of place, was told to do an exercise of laying down quickly and get up with my head turned one way then the other. HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS ?
This is a fairly common condition--especially among the elderly and in people with other inner ear trouble--called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, or BPPV.

There are home exercises for BPPV called the Brandt-Daroff exercises, but the CURE for BPPV is one or more of the canalith repositioning maneuvers--usually called the EPLEY MANEUVER. This maneuver cures BPPV instantly in 80 to 90 percent of cases. It repositions the crystals properly.

If your doctor does not know how to do the Epley maneuver, find an ENT or a vestibular physical therapist who knows how to do it. You should not be left to just do home exercises (which may indeed help) when there is a quick, painless, noninvasive cure that every ear specialist should know how to do (although not everyone does).

Find a doctor at www.vestibular.org and click on the find-a-doctor tab. The ones with the little symbol below their listing know how to do the Epley maneuver.

You can try the Epley maneuver yourself if you have no neck problems, although it's much more advisable to get a doctor or physical therapist to do it for you the first time. Sometimes, depending on which canal the crystals are in, a different maneuver may be needed.

Google "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" and you will get lots of info. The best site, and one that shows the Brandt-Daroff exercises and the Epley maneuver, is this one:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

See also Dr. Epley's site:

http://www.earinfosite.org/common.htm#bppv

If the exercises or maneuver don't take care of your dizziness, you could be misdiagnosed. See an otologist (ear specialist) or neuro-otologist (inner-ear specialist). These are ENTs with extra training in the ear. Dizziness is OFTEN misdiagnosed, and some general-practitioner type doctors attribute symptoms to BPPV when it's not.

Good luck!

Nancy T.
i was told the same thing by my ENT but it didn't help a bit.  i ended up having vertigos.  then i tried using ear drops and my vertigo was gone and no more sinus problem too.
hope this helps.  

marie
Nancy T.,

I appreciate your information.  I've posted elsewhere (BPPV in SoCal) recently, as I've had a bout with this onset vertigo.  I'm in the middle of doing the Brandt-Daroff exercises, now 3 days, but with no change.  I've an appointment with an ENT next week, and will ask about the Epley.

I have a question...if, when laying down on my right side with the Brandt flip flops, I experience the vertigo, but not on my left side, does this mean that it's my right ear that is affected?  Just curious, I can specifically locate the positions that bring this on, namely, my right side, and going backwards from a sitting to a lying position.

Thanks,
Norm
What type of ear drops did you use that took your vertigo away?  I also experience vertigo/dizziness associated with some ear trouble, even though the doctors can't find anything wrong, and it's so frustrating.  I don't think it's BPPV because it doesn't happen only when I turn my head a certain way.  It happens just sitting still looking straight ahead as well.

Thanks,
Pam
I think so--but I'm not sure. (I'm just a layperson who has done a lot of reading.)

Good luck with the ENT visit. If the ENT doesn't do the Epley (or the Semont) for BPPV, find another one!! Or find a vestibular therapist who does.

Nancy T.
Eardrops will no way, nohow help vertigo. I'm sorry but penelope's experience was just a coincidence. Find a dizziness SPECIALIST to help you.
Thanks.  I am actually waiting to hear back for an appointment date (which is like pulling teeth) from a dizzy specialist (Neurotologist) that my ENT is referring me to as he can't find the problem.  
You are definitely on the right track! Sometimes no one, not even the biggest specialists, can definitely say why a person is dizzy. But the neurotologist is your best bet. Hope you find the solution!

Nancy T.