Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear infection?

For two years I have had itchy, dry, crusty inner ear problems.  It itches very bad and is just inside the inner canal.  White crusty flakes come out into my ear.  The doctor gave me ear drops, but it seems to just make it drier.  My wife has been putting monistat cream in there with a Q-tip which makes it feel better.

Do you know what medication I can use to permanently get rid of this?  We live in a very low humidity area and it is very dry here.

thanks
Infections will make puss come out, not dry flakes.   Perhaps you have some eczema in the earcanal (did the MD give cortisone drops?)   I would be careful about putting any kind of cream into the ear, or anything for that matter.   Some use olive oil drops as a home remedy.

You've got ear exzema (eczema), there's a lot of posts on this site about it with what everyone's using to control it.  Can't cure it but swab with antifungal (monistat, lotrimin) and alternate with cortison cream and neosporin.