Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear pain and bone protruding in throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear pain and bone protruding in throat

i went to the ent because i always have ear pain and this bone like structure protruding in the space where my tonsils use to be. i had my tonsils out in june as the doctor thought there was something hardened in there.  now i have no tonsils and i am still left with the same pain. constant ear pain and sore on the left side of my throat because of this bone or at least thats what it feels like. i was diagnosed with tmj and then the next doctor said i didn't have tmj! i have had two decompressions for chiari malformation so im not sure if that has anything to do with it. he said maybe the hyoid bone or eagle syndrome. any comments would be appreciated.
thanks
Tags: Pain, bone, tonsils
What you describe in the back of your throat, I had as well.  You could see the bony protrusions where my tonsils used to be (I had them out about 16 years ago).  I had symptoms mainly on the left, constant sore throat, ear pain, feeling of something in my throat.  On the right the symptoms were more vague, pain turning my head to the right and pain with extension of my lower jaw.  I went to the University of Florida and had a bilateral stylohyoid resection done on 1/31/07.  The surgery went well, but unfortunately I had a complication a few days later and ended up being admitted to the hospital.  I can say the left side is much better, but the left (which did not bother me too much before the surgery)is still sore and now I have throbbing ear pain after eating.  I am going to have a follow up appointment soon.  Not sure I am glad I had the surgery yet.  Let me know if I can help you.
Just want to know how you are feeling since your last post.  I have eagles syndrome.   Just in the process of finding a doctor.  May have to ask to go out of network.  Has your throbbing ear pain after eating gone away?  I still have my tonsils but can feel the bony protrusion.  I don't touch it much as it sets off spasms under my chin and down my neck (previously diag dystonia for this).  Did they cut slits in the back of your throat to get at the styloid?  Did the operation take long?  What tests did they require before doing surgery?  I've had a 3D CT Scan.  Look forward to hearing from you.