Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear pressure problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear pressure problem

I have a really frustrating ear problem, I can hear a muffled reverberation of my voice and breathing in my right (sometimes left) ear. It happens when I do any kind of heavy breathing, when I hold my nose and blow out, swallow too much and sometimes it happens just at random. The only way that I can get it to go away is if I either hold my nose and suck in through my nose, turn my head upside down or breathe only through my mouth. It happens all the time and makes it very difficult to talk. It doesn't affect my external hearing only internal noises like breathing, talking and swallowing. I'm 19 and have had this issue for as long as I can remember. I've seen an ENT about it, but she had no answers and said that there was nothing wrong and had no suggestions. I think that it has something to do with the pressure in my ear not being strong enough because it almost feels like air is escaping out through my ear. Any help is really appreciated, as this is a really annoying problem.
Do this pranayam daily, twice a day, to help with the ear problem. Post your feedback when you start to feel the improvement. This works gradually, so allow 12 weeks.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
I will definitely try this out and post any improvements. Thanks very much  
Try a decongestant or go see a t m j specialist. He can give you a muscle relaxant, cyclobenzaprine to take at bedtime.  Also buy a cheap mouth guard, the thin ones like from target or Walmart. Make sure it is one that you don't need to boil and size. I find those ones bulky. Wear it at night. This along with the muscle relaxer took the puffing sounds away in my ears.