Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear pressure

My 10 year old daughter has been experiencing a fullness in her left ear for the past 6 months.She keeps complaining that she can't hear well in her left ear and it's blocked.Meanwhile her nose is blocked at most times.Doctors have prescribed antihistamines,oral cortisones,nasal irrigation,nose drops and she even had myrongotomy without the insertion of tubes to relief ear pressure in that ear.She still complains he ear feels full.She had 2 hearing tests and tympanography and all came as normal with a slight loss of hearing in her problem ear.
She sometimes also complains of a humming or ringing or a prickly sound in her ear.
she has been on singulair 5mg for 4 years now because of her allergies.
Can you PLEASE help? i've been to 5 ENT specialists so far ,my daughter has been on loads of meds. and i'm very concerned.
Please please help .
Did any of the ENT MDs recommend myringtomy with ear tube placement?  It sounds like that may be the next option.  
she had myringotomy with tubes when she was 5,but back then she had glued ears.ENTs say she doesn't have any fluid so no need for tubes.
What could possibly be wong with her?
For patients with nasal obstruction and ear fullness, I recommend a nasal endoscopy (yes even in a 10yo, although an xray is a decent substitute) and audiogram/tympanogram.  She may benefit from another set of ear tubes and possibly adenoidectomy.  
Hmmmm....  5 ENTs and none wanted to place tubes.  That's reassuring since they often would like to place them if they can find a reason to.  You may consider a second opinon at a university teaching hospital since her hearing is affected.
Thank you very much for all your help .The ENTs we've seen said there's no point in pacing tubes since she doesn't have otitis media with effusion.Are you suggesting that these tubes can regulate her ear pressure? but once removed won't her ears get blocked again?
Thanks again.
If she doesn't have otitis media with effusion and her audiogram including tympanometry is completely normal I probably wouldn't recommend tubes either.  If there is evidence of ear drum retraction, tubes could still be an option since nothing else seems to work.  Once the tubes come out, she could have fullness again.  Some pts need longer term types of ear tubes.  

You mentioned allergies...has she been tested?  You may want to consider seeing an allergist before having another surgery.  I would consider the tubes as a last option.

Lastly, did she see 5 ENTs within the past 6 months for her most recent ear fullness?  
Yes Dr. She has seen 5 ENTs (from May 2007-Dec.2007).
She was put on antihistamines,steroids,antibiotics,saline nasal wash and had myringotomy without tubes last July which didn't relieve the fullness in  her left ear at all.
She had tympanometry 4 times and 2 hearing tests and they came out normal.The ENTs also said her eardrum looks normal.

She has been on'Singulair 5 mg' for the past  5 yrs. that's when she was diagnosed with bronchial asthma and also had myringotomy with tubes .
I have  a daughter who goes to bed every night hoping she'd wake up the next morning with a clear ear and the ringing that comes occasionally would go away  The ENTs however, are asking me  to ignore the symptoms because it's nothing serious and i just can't do that because it's making my kid miserable and i'm worried this could cause longterm hearing problems if the underlying cause goes untreated.
if she has asthma, that's often from an allergic source.  Has she had skin testing for allergies?  Desensitization using allergy shots help some patients.

It's something serious.  IT's bothering her to the point that she's miserable.  If the hearing tests are normal i wouldn't worry about long-term hearing problems, but why leave her to suffer?  there's more to look into.  See an allergist.
Let the daughter do the following exercises using the child dose where shown.She will sleep better and feel happier that she is doing something to help the body.Come back to report progress.
The Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) to help with ear problem are:

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.(child 2 min)

Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for upto 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 min/day).
(child 5 minutes)

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Child 5 minutes.
Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show over a period of months.Only by doing you will benefit
and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....
will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.
--
Pressure point for ear - press the top of the palm of hand between little finger and index finger, 20 times a day.
or not
"or not"  HAHAHAHAHAHA!

ok, be nice, Wear/a/Jimmy

i can't understand how yoga helps these symptoms.  can you explain what this does?  like to the body, i can understand how it would help you feel better about it, but what does it do to the body?