Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear problem! help please!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear problem! help please!

okay, for 5 days now i've had extremely painful earache in my left ear. I've been feeling a little dizzy but not so much that I can't walk around. It's more of a dull pain but with sharp stabs as well. I've been taking wayy to much paracetomol! It's also itchy on the inside.

This morning the pain was a little better, but I couldn't hear properly out of it, it felt a bit like when you're on an aeroplane, or underwater. This evening the pain has come back as it was before but i still can't hear properly out of it.

The pain isn't isolated to my ear either, the pain has shot through the entire left side of my face, mostly in my jawline, but it has given me a headache aswell. The area behind my ear is a bit tender sometimes too.

I went to the doctor on monday and she had a quick look in both ears and made me open my mouth and say aah. then told me that she couldn't see anything wrong and that if it continued for a few days it may be my wisdom teeth. However I have had x-rays when i had braces and i'm not sure that I even have any wisdom teeth! Also if it's now affecting my hearing I don't see how this could be teeth related :/

It's completely dry and has been the whole time i've been suffering!

I'm at my wits end with the lack of sleep it's giving me, any ideas as to what it could be or anything I can do/get to ease the pain?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a middle ear infection. Only when the tympanic membrane ruptures will there be discharge. This happens only when the infection builds up causing a rupture. This usually results from a throat infection blocking the Eustachian  tubes. This is treated with antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications So, please have yourself re evaluated. In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.