Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear 'pulse' feeling in time with heart rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I may have posted similar to this in the past- no answers.

Anyway I (and others on the thyroid forum) get this annoying ear pulsing in time with my heart rate while reclined 45 degree or flat while sleeping.  Some night are better than others. The ear doctor just gave it a fancy name and said thats what I have. Of course he named it and said there nothing to do, it will just effect your sleep (as if thats NOT a big deal?). I need to sleep, we all do.

He say it could be from my thyroid med as that can give you a harder heartbeat (like palps).

So I'm hoping someone here has experience with this and knows if there is anything that can be done about it. The doc totaly blew me off I think.

I did have an ear test, it was good, despite a slight overall buzzing - no big deal (that comes with aging and thyroid disease too).
Try a gluten free diet.  It's a good diet for thyroid problems and that pulse in your ears.  See if it helps.  Look it up on the internet.

Good luck!
I'm a regular commenter on the thyroid forum, I did go gluten free awhile back for the thyroid and acid reflux, then went back to just less gluten. I'm not gluten intolerant, but do understand we have too much refined wheat in our diets.

Can you give me a few details on any gluten and ear pulse connection? Curious, I've never seen or heard of this one.

This may be way-way off simply because you only mention three of the many symptoms for this, thyroid problems, Tinnitus(?) and hearing the heart beat in the ear.  Check out Superior Canal (semicircular canal?) Dehiscence Syndrome (SCDS).  Also the reclining to 45* this doesn't sound like this either, but it worth typing this out when your bord ;-)
Describe this ear pulse, please? Is it a FEELING or a sound?

If a sound, is it a kind of whooshing sound?

Or is it a sound kind of like rain dripping from a gutter?

I have the latter sound (a hollow clicking or popping or dripping noise, NOT the whoosh) in my ears when lying back 45 degrees. Not all the time. It's in time with my heartbeat. Have never talked to a doctor about it.
In my case its both.  I can feel a pulsation in the ear, which creates its own sound.  Its a uncontrollable beating sound, not clicking like when you 'pop' your ears. Then I wake and have to move my head, it goes away but not always right away. Its like a heart sound and feel, traveling though the neck artery to my ear.
I have the heart beat pulse in the ears too.  I also have a very slight eye disturbance along with the heart beat pulse.  It has only been happening occasionally since I have been trying to up my Nature Throid.  I assumed it has something to do with that.  What did the doctor call it?
Doc - 'Pulsating tinnitus'. Tinnitus is a very general term for ear noise.

term.http://www.piedmontent.com/hearing2.html

http://tinnitus0.blogspot.com/2008/11/hearing-pulse-in-ears.html

It does say meds can cause this. Its in my left ear at night. I can move my neck to make it go away, but comes back on bad nights.

I have had fluctuating thyroid symptoms like heart palps at night - thats when the ear beats get worse. So it does have to do with blood pressure in the neck. I am having a bit of a challenge adjusting to Nature Throid, so that's probably the reason. But even when thyroid symptoms are under control, this has happened, less though.

Hope it just goes away like in the past.

http://www.entusa.com/pulsatile_tinnitus.htm