Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear syringing and bizare sensation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear syringing and bizare sensation

today I have just been to have my ears syringed, I have been putting drops in for a week prior to this and had noticed that when putting drops into my left ear I had a strange sensation that the drops were running through my ear into my eye. I thought nothing of it as it wasnt so strong, however when the nurse came to doing my left ear I nearly jumped out the seat, it was so strong, my eyes would water and I felt lik ethe water in my ear was actually running through my ear and into the corner of my left eye. it was bizare and the nurse couldnt explain it. what would cause this, theres no way that could actually happen is there?
Not that I know of. There's no passage from the ear to the eye. The water does not go past your eardrum, but even if it did get into the middle ear via a tear or hole in your eardrum (and you'd probably know it if you had one), that could only go into the Eustachian tube, which leads to the throat, not the eye. The inner ear is separated from the middle ear by extremely hard bone and some membranes, so nothing can get into the inner ear.

When putting drops in my ear, especially the left one, after a few seconds it feels as if the drops hit something very sensitive, causing some kind of uncomfortable pressure--it makes me jump. But not related to my eye.

You're sure it wasn't simply your eye watering a lot in reaction to the discomfort of drops being put in? I know there are certain things that can cause eye watering, such as certain types of migraines (I think--and other neurological things, I don't know what all). So perhaps putting the drops in stimulated some nerve that made your eye water?

If you are not having any other problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

Nancy T.
hi, thanks, no it was so precise in what it felt like, because it was the same feeling in my ear, lik ethe same temperature of the water, literally so strongly felt like it was going through my ear and into my eye - i know it sounds crazy but it was so strong you couldnt mistake it, it is absolutely mad i know. my eye did slightly water on the other side but hardly annything, the other side felt like the actual water from the syringing was in the side of my eye, lol.

just out of curiousity, what would a tear in your ear drum feel like?
also, could it be anything to do with nerves or something?
i forgot to say, it didnt just do that feeling in my eye it was under my skin in a line like it was dribbling towards me eye, not just my ey, so actually in my face too
Just my 2 cents....  I have had my eardrum ruptured on several ocassions....  I can't say there was a feeling, more of a pop sound....   But that is not to say that the ear drum has no nerve endings.

I don't know the answer to that.

BTW physicians commonly rupture ear drums while doing irigation (irrigation) work to remove wax....  and they usually don't tell you....  liabilty, & they usually heal on their own.  So they just perforate your ear, take you money and send you on you way....

Nice eh?