Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear tubes (grommets ) in adults

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear tubes (grommets ) in adults

my ent said he wants to take my grommets out (put in my previouse ent) as they are blocked, he said that putting them in adults can cause more problems that cures. but my old ent wanted to put larger grommets in!!
im just confused by the 2 comflicting reccomendations.
grommets in adults yes or no??
The concern is:

1) The PET "gommets" as you called tem, can allow for exposure to bacteria etc.
2) The PET will cause or can cause a permanent hole in the ear drum

It is a 50/50 debate. pro's over cons

I like tubes my self.
When I was 18 I went to a Specialist because my ears couldn't pop and I was in pain. He suggested grommits which I knew nothing about so I said if that is what I nedded then I should get them. A couple of months  later I had the surgery and it really didn't go well. I ended up getting a needle to stop me throwing up because he got the anastetic stuff down my throat. ever since I have nothing but ear problems and infections. I am now 24 and one grommits still hasn't fallen out and my ears weep all the time and sometimes even blood. At the moment I have had allergic reaction and my left ear is aching so much. Has anyone ever heard of these problems and what may have happened to make it like this???
I had tubes put in my ears on the 23rd of last month (a month ago today exactly) and it's personally been great for me. I didn't have as many infections in my ears per-se as I did with constant terrible pressure.I waited an entire year to determine if decongestants, steroids, sprays etc. would work, and the pressures still fluctuated. They would do tymp tests and get readings of like, -117 on one side, and +37 on the other. Needless to say, I was dizzy and just felt terrible. I have God-awful sinus issues, (I've have had 6 sinus surgeries also within the past 16 months alone) but tubes in my ears by far have been the best thing to help deal with the constant ear conerns.

Best of luck!

Ashley
My husband has worked in the steel works for nearly 38 years and gradualy his hearing has got worse, his last works examination by the nurse ended in him being refered to ent for grommets to be inserted this friday 15th july! what can he expect after this procedure? any help would be appreciated.
Just want to say that for anyone considering grommets to think carefully. In my case removal of tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) would have been sufficient and the grommet caused unnecessary discomfort and pain. I did not have hearing loss only pressure problems which I believe would have been resolved by removal of tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) alone (I had very bad tonsillitis). It is a big decision and not as trivial as it may seem and can really impact upon your life. If in doubt it is best not to make any rushed decisions. Of course grommets suit some people (in particular those who have lost hearing) and I do not mean that they are of no benefit to anyone, however in my case they were a very unnecessary cause of discomfort and pain. The decision whether to have grommets should be very carefully considered and is what I would call a last resort (if removal of tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) has not been successful...and even then I'm not sure if I would be in favour of it). I just wanted to share my experience and hope it may be of use to someone.