Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ear wax/infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ear wax/infection

hi i saw my doctor a couple days ago for an ear infection my right ear...he said  it was infected but said both ears has excessive ear wax..he  said  i should use prescribed medicine in right ear and  use over the counter medicine to soften wax and next Thurday he will irrigate it....the  only thing  is  I am flying to Cancun the very next day(friday)  my left ear feels fine   should I postpone the irrigation until I get back...can excessive ear wax cause my left ear to get infected.....very humid in Cancun and my ear may be very moist most of time
update--- he told me to use over the counter wax softner for my left ear(the one that has excessive wax but feels fine)

There is no harm in using the wax solvents, get the wax removed and definitely you can fly. Do not worry you should do better after getting the wax removed.

If you do not get it removed there are chances that your ears will be troubling you in that humid weather.

Regards
OHNS2010
Interesting story.  My daughter makes an excessive amount of ear wax.  It is a problem through the winter months, but come summer and swimming season, we never see a sign of it.  Her frequent swimming washes the ear wax right out of her ears.  Since you are having issues with it, I would suggest that you use something to soften the wax.  Sweet Oil works well and then hope that your smimming on vaction (if you go) washes the wax out.

I WOULD NOT get on a plane with an active ear infection.  If you chose to, be sure to USE AFRIN at least 20 before take off and landing.  Not kidding here.  It is very painful and can cause permanent damage.  I have done it.  The flight out of town was fine.  My ears were a little slow to equalize, but since we were flying to altitude it wasn't a big problem.  I saw the dr the day we were leaving and took antibiotics the whole time we were gone.  The landing back home was MISERABLE and left me with constant ringing in my ears for over 9 months and pain that lasted for several days.

You have some hard choices to make.  Either way, I pray that you get better soon.