Ear, Nose & Throat Community
enlarged lymph nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

enlarged lymph nodes

Back in April 2007 I had a sensation that something was squeezing my throat and it was hard to swallow sometimes. I also had pain in the back of my neck on the left side. I went to my family Dr. No tests were done at that time, she gave me pain meds I think. Well, it never went away. Also, some time in November I noticed something hard on the left side of my throat. Dec. 6, 2007 I went back to my family Dr, she didn't know what the knot was on my throat. She sent me for an x-ray of my neck and an ultrasound of my neck. X-ray revealed evidence of muscle spasm, ultrasound found a very small cyst on thyroid. She sent me to an ENT. On Dec. 17, 2007 I saw the ENT. He said he thought the lump on my throat was an inflamed hyoid bone. He didn't think the thyroid cyst was anything to worry about. But, he put a camera through my nose and down my throat to look for reflux, none. He also looked at my voice box and it was fine. Saw no problems there. He told me to take 2 Aleve twice a day. He also sent me for a CT of my neck. CT found thyroid normal, cyst too small to detect. Prominent lymph nodes in the submandibular, sublingual, and jugulo-gastric spaces. The largest RIGHT level 2 lymph node measures 21.4x13x7.8 mm. Largest LEFT jugulo-digrastric lymph node measures 18.5x9x8 mm. Conclusion: Mildly enlarged bilateral level 2 lymph nodes. Prominent, upper, normal size level 1 lymph nodes. The nurse that called said that we would just watch the lymph nodes. So now, everything is the same, Aleve did nothing. Over a week ago I found a lump in my left breast. Since I don't do regular self breast exams I don't know how long it's been there. I went back to my family Dr Friday because my neck was hurting so bad. She sent me to an Ortho Dr. I saw him yesterday. He's going to do an MRI. But in the meantime, whatever is pushing on my throat is getting worse, food is getting stuck right there sometimes and the lymph nodes under my chin are pushing up against my tongue. My question is, what should I do now? My family dr said to go back to the ENT but I can't get in to see him for another week. Should I wait?